Recap | Tamworth (h)

February 21, 2024
Recap | Tamworth (h)
Published on  Updated on  

CHORLEY battled tirelessly to claim all three points against league leaders Tamworth at the Chorley Group Victory Park Stadium on Tuesday evening.

Both sides struggled to settle into the contest in the opening exchanges, wet and windy conditions playing their part from the get-go but after a couple of half-chances, it was the Magpies who broke Tamworth's 900+ minutes run without conceding a goal, CARLTON UBAEZUONU tapping home the rebound after Justin Johnson initially stung the palms of Jas Singh from range but the latter couldn't hold on to it.

Carlton Ubaezuonu celebrates the winning goal vs Tamworth (David Airey)

Tamworth began to grow into the game having gone behind, Tom Tonks's long-throw a big part of their game and Max Dearnley had to be alert to get out quickly and deny Dan Creaney a route to goal.

Despite their pressing, Johnson then was only a matter of inches away from doubling Chorley's lead - driving down the left wing before thundering an effort off the bar.

Dearnley then had a spell of being mightily busy for a spell of ten minutes before half-time, getting down well to deny Charlie Cockerill-Mollett's powerful shot from distance before somehow keeping out a header from Tonks after an initial corner.

Tamworth continued to pepper the Chorley goal towards the break and they themselves would hit the bar minutes later, Creaney getting through before Kyle Finn headed towards goal - Dearnley superbly tipping it onto the woodwork before going behind for another corner.

Chorley went close through Jack Sampson after the restart, forcing a smart save down low out of Singh before Ty Deacon had two shots for the visitors, the first of the two forcing yet another save out of Dearnley.

Dearnley continued to be the hero for Andy Preece's side, Tamworth hitting the bar for the second time through Liam Colman before the former got down low again to deny a massive opportunity for Tamworth.

From there it was a case of managing the game defensively for the Magpies and dealing with a substantial amount of pressure from Andy Peaks's side, Finn going closest to getting the Lambs back on terms before Frankie Maguire had a shot that was barely an inch away from sealing it for Chorley in stoppage time but the home side would hold on brilliantly to claim all three points on the night.

CHORLEY: Dearnley, Donawa, Smith, Wilson, Blakeman, Calveley, Maguire, Horbury (Glynn, 64'), Ubaezuonu (Ellis, 85'), Sampson, Johnson (Hazlehurst, 70').

TAMWORTH: Singh, Curley, Willets, Dolman, Cockerill-Mollett (Cullinane-Liburd, 63'), Sundire, Tonks, Finn (Tshikuna, 85'), Deacon (Wreh, 77'), Arlott-John, Creaney.

Goalscorer: Ubaezuonu (12')

Cautions: Horbury (32'), Donawa (61'), Wreh (87'), Hazlehurst (90+3').

Referee: Gareth Thomas.

Assistants: Mark Bates & Taylor Metcalf.

Attendance: 655.

Up Next: We're back on our travels this Saturday as we make the long trip down south to take on Bishop's Stortford.

Published on  Updated on