Recap | Buxton (h)

December 13, 2023
Recap | Buxton (h)
Published on  Updated on  

CHORLEY made it five wins on the spin at home thanks to an 81st minute goal from Mark Ellis to seal what was an absolute thriller at the Chorley Group Victory Park Stadium, beating Buxton 3-2 on Tuesday evening.

The Magpies came into the game off the back off two draws in the National League North and started off the game well with Justin Johnson causing havoc for the Bucks’ defence and Andy Preece’s side were unlucky not to be ahead in the early stages – Johnson’s cross finding Jack Hazlehurst but his effort from close range went just wide.

Although Chorley had the better of the early exchanges it was to be Craig Elliott’s side who hit the front first, DIEGO DE GIROLAMO with an absolute pearler of a finish against the run of play that sailed into the far corner – Matt Urwin with no chance of keeping that out.

Going a goal behind didn’t deter the Magpies though and they eventually got their reward, MIKE CALVELEY bagging his fifth goal in ten games – scrambling the ball home from inside the six-yard box from Jack Moore’s initial corner.

Mike Calveley celebrates his goal vs Buxton (David Airey)

The game had been played in relatively good spirits by both sides, that until on the stroke of half-time the match descended into chaos – William Bapaga sent off for pushing Harvey Smith, Joe Nolan booked and Jack Sampson given his marching orders too (second-yellow card), along with both manager’s receiving a caution as well.

Chorley came out firing after the restart with plenty of attacking intent again and probably should have gone ahead sooner than they did, substitute Carlton Ubaezuonu firing wide with the outside of his left-foot after Johnson’s smart initially put the former through on goal.

UBAEZUONU’s persistence paid off in the 63rd minute however, hammering his effort into the roof of the net – this time with his weaker right foot, giving Buxton stopper Max Dearnley no chance of keeping it out.

The action was far from over from there and the Bucks levelled through substitute JAKE WRIGHT after he headed in from a corner, but MARK ELLIS would have the final say on the night – another corner and an absolute bullet header from a Moore corner was enough to secure all-three-points for the Magpies on the night.

Chorley: Urwin, Moore, Smith, Ellis, Henley, Nolan, Calveley, Rus (Ubaezounu, 45’), Johnson (Whitehouse, 82’), Sampson, Hazlehurst. Unused: Wilson, Shenton, Moyo.

Buxton: Dearnley, Waters, Hunt, Bird, Francis- Angol (Osborne, 85’), McCourt (Wright, 71’), Horbury, Kirby, Bapaga, De Girolamo (Walker, 71’), McKeown. Unused: Granite, Elliott.

Goalscorers:   De Girolamo (18’), Calveley (28’), Ubaezuonu (63’), Wright (74’), Ellis (81’).

Caution: 🟨  Kirby (31’), Sampson (37’), Nolan (45’) Wright (90’)

Dissimals: Bapaga (45’), Sampson (45’).

Referee: Oliver Noonan. 

Assistants: Matthew Malton, Adam Watson.

Attendance: 732.

50/50 Draw: 3rd (6048), 2nd (6027), 1st (6026).

Next Up: We’re on the road again as we make the journey over to take on league leaders SCUNTHORPE UNITED this Saturday,

Published on  Updated on