HomeYouthYouth NewsJUNIOR PREMIER FOOTBALL SHIELD | Magpies Through to Semis


Today Chorley’s U16s welcomed Dudley Town to a wintery Bishop Rawthornes in the quarter final of the JPL Shield., writes Paul Larnach. With the conditions playing a factor, the match was dramatic from start to finish. Chorley were in front before there was even a minute on the board when a through ball from midfield by Myles Durkin wasn’t dealt with by the Dudley Keeper and Luke Creegan was on hand to tap into an empty net.

Dudley Town were level only a couple of minutes later when a misplaced pass from Chorley was picked up by a blue shirt and before the defenders could react the shot was hit from 20 yards into the bottom right hand corner beyond the diving hand of Liam Doyle.

The rest of the half was a midfield battle with the Dudley keeper certainly the busier of the 2 keepers pulling off a couple of wonderful saves to stop Chorley from retaking the lead. The first half ended all square at 1-1 and this was to be the case deep into the 2nd half.
The Dudley Keeper again kept his side in the match as Chorley struggled to find a way to retake the lead. However, with 20 minutes left on the clock Chorley should have been ahead. A cross from the right wasn’t dealt with by the Dudley defence and the mix up seemed to knock Dom Berry off his stride. Any solid contact it would have been 2 but not for the first time the keeper managed to get a hand to it and claw it away. 

The Chorley front line claimed it was over the line but without never VAR we’ll know!
With Chorley now very much on the front foot one thing was bound to happen, Dudley score! With the ball bouncing around the Chorley half, not under control, it landed nicely in front of one of the Dudley forwards and from 25 yards he hit a half volley that dipped over Doyle and into the net!

Chorley went back onto the front foot switching to a 3-4-3 formation and within minutes the ball was in the back of the net. However, after consulting with the linesman the referee disallowed the goal after initially giving it. Rather than letting this get to them Chorley used it as inspiration and kept on getting at the Dudley back 4. This resulted in a few tasty tackles going in and ended up with the Dudley right back being cautioned for hacking down Taylor Brickell. 

With only 6 minutes left Reece Tunstall got the Magpies back on level terms. A Max Foley corner was missed by the first defender and there was Tunstall in the right place to fire the ball passed the goalkeeper. Could Chorley get a winner in the last few minutes? Unfortunately, the answer was no.
With the match ending 2-2 this meant the tie was to be decided on penalties. The first 2 from both sides were scored but then Dudley missed their next 2 with Chorley not missing their 3rd. This meant Reece Prescott had the chance to put Chorley into the draw for the semi finals and sure enough he sent the keeper the wrong way and that was that and a 4-2 win. 

A thoroughly entertaining match ending in the most dramatic fashion. It’s never a nice way to lose a match but Chorley deserved to progress to the last four. 

Next up for Dudley is an away league match at Forest Green while Chorley face Morecombe Academy in a friendly.


AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Wednesday February 28th
@ Lancashire FA Head Quarters
Partners Foundation
Challenge Trophy

Saturday March 3rd

On Our Travels

Saturday February 24th

Saturday March 10th