HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2017/18MATCH REPORT | FC United 0-0 Chorley

MATCH REPORT | FC United 0-0 Chorley

The Magpies played out a goal-less draw with FC United on a calm but cold night in north Manchester.

Alex Newby showed flashes on debut, especially during the first half when Chorley went forward with intent. The second 45 minutes passed without much in way of scoring chances, leaving both sides to settle for a point.

Team news

Matt Jansen made one change to the side that lost 1-0 at Gainsborough, with new signing Newby replacing Marcus Carver in a new-look attacking trio with Jason Walker and Josh Wilson. For FC United Scott Kay, Kieran Glynn and Jamal Crawford started ahead of Jordan Fagbola, Tyrell Palmer and Craig Lindfield.

First half

Chorley looked to take the game to their hosts, starting with an adventurously fluid approach. Newby’s inclusion added some craft and guile that almost produced an early breakthrough, but the goalmouth scramble that ensued couldn’t be capitalised on by Walker, Wilson, or Jake Cottrell. 

United had their moments going forward, with Kieran Glynn at the centre of their attacking flow, however, the visitors went closest to worrying the scoresheet.

Wilson, playing all over the forward line, tested Lloyd Allinson twice from range, before heading just wide from an Adam Blakeman corner. Blakeman went close with an effort of his own right on half time, but Allinson wasn’t worried by his rising drive.

Second half

Danny Racchi had the first effort on goal after the restart, but it was Chorley who continued to show more in the final third. Matty Hughes’ industry and Wilson’ accuracy created a chance for Josh O’Keefe, but the midfielder headed weakly wide.

Lee Molyneux was introduced on the hour to add some extra spark, but it was Allinson who almost gifted the Magpies a goal, swinging and missing on a back pass. Unfortunately, he recovered quickly enough to clear the ball off his own line.

Newby was unlucky not to get on the end of a deflected corner that Allinson had better luck with, and sub Marcus Carver hit the target late on. Although the effort wasn’t good enough to trouble United’s number one, who kept his clean sheet intact despite some indecisive moments.


FC United (4-2-3-1): Allinson; Senior, Hughes, Baird, Wisdom (Fagbola, 78); Kay (c), Racchi (Palmer, 90+2); Crawford (Tattum, 62), Glynn, McCarthy; Greaves. Subs not used: Jones, Lindfield.

Chorley (5-2-1-2): Urwin; Hughes (Molyneux, 62), Leather, Teague (c), Jordan, Blakeman; Cottrell, O’Keefe; Newby (Carver, 85); Walker (Challoner, 75), Wilson. Subs not used: Whitham, Metz.

HT 0-0 /FT 0-0

Goal scorers: None

Bookings: McCarthy (foul, 59), Racchi (foul, 74); O’Keefe (foul, 69)

Red Cards: None

Attendance: 2,286

Referee: Tom Kick

Assistants: Gareth Myers & Peter Walker

Next Up

The Magpies return to the Chorley Group Victory Park Stadium next Saturday for a second meeting in 18 days with managerless Gainsborough Trinity, kick off 3pm.


AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Wednesday February 28th
@ Lancashire FA Head Quarters
Partners Foundation
Challenge Trophy

Saturday March 3rd

On Our Travels

Saturday February 24th

Saturday March 10th