HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2017/18REPORT | Chorley 2 Colne 1

REPORT | Chorley 2 Colne 1

A much-changed Magpies left it late to secure a 2-1 victory over EvoStik North side Colne in the second round of the Lancashire FA Partners Foundation Challenge Trophy.


Alex Curran was in the right place at the right time to give Colne a shock lead, before Nick Haughton levelled matters with a penalty. Late in stoppage time, sub Jason Walker sealed the comeback, sending Chorley through to face Bamber Bridge in the quarter-finals.

Matt Jansen made nine changes to the side that drew 1-1 with Nuneaton on Saturday, with Matt Urwin and Haughton the only survivors, and under-21 players Declan Evans and Harry Pratt coming into the lineup. Colne brought Chris Lynch, Luke Tabone, Elijah Bello, Dan Wilkins and Shiraz Khan into the starting XI after losing 3-1 at Ossett Town.

The first half had a disjointed feel to it with the combined 14 changes taking their toll on the fluidity of the game. Despite this Chorley dominated for long periods and created a number of excellent chances. Three fell to young centre forward Harry Pratt who shot wide from a Will Beesley cross, missed the target after a defensive mix up, and was unlucky when his lob from a Haughton pass was tipped behind Hakan Burton.

Haughton was at the centre of every forward move and went close when firing across goal from an acute angle following good approach work by Matty Hughes. Ian Black also came close, wrongfooting Burton with a swerving free kick that flashed just wide of the upright.

Colne's best chances fell to to Dan Wilkins, who had Urwin worried from distance, and Lee Gaskell. The visitor's number 10 turned inside and out before forcing Chorley's number one into a close range block.

The game continued along the same path in the second half with the Magpies' best chances again falling to lone forward Pratt. Paul Jarvis was the first to set up the number nine, whose effort flashed wide. He went closer when setting himself up on the edge of the area, rolling the defender and firing just past the post.

Colne sub Sean Miller gave the home side a warning on a rare attack by forcing Urwin to a low save, and on 67 minutes a second, flowing move, saw Lee Pugh break through down the left. His pull-back found Alex Curran unmarked five yards for his fifth goal of the season.

The visitors looked to be holding out for the win, until an innocuous incident in the box on 85 minutes allowed Haughton to level things from the spot. Then deep in injured time, Walker went clean through, and although his first effort was saved, the rebound was expertly put away to spare the Magpies' blushes.

Chorley (4-2-3-1) Urwin; Anson, Evans (Walker, 68), Charnock, Beesley; Roscoe (c) (Challoner, 68), Black (Darr, 58); Hughes, Haughton Jarvis; Pratt. Subs not used: Naeem, Farnworth.

Colne (4-2-3-1) Burton; Lynch, Hodgkinson, Tabone, Pugh; Nangle (c), Bello (Miller, 46); Khan, Curran (Morgan, 77), Wilkins; Gaskell (Wood, 75). Subs not used: Crankshaw, Hilton.

HT 0-0 /FT 2-1

Goals: Haughton (pen, 85), Walker (90+3); Curran (67)

Bookings: Lynch (foul, 21)

Red cards: None

Attendance: 318

Referee: Bob Roberts

Assistants: Steven Holden & Aran Hodgkinson

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Saturday January 27th

Saturday February 3rd

On Our Travels

Saturday January 20th

Friday February 9th