HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2017/18REPORT | Magpies and Boston must do it again

REPORT | Magpies and Boston must do it again

A close fought, all-National League North FA Cup tie ended with a red card for the visitors as Matt Jansen’s side were held by Boston United at Victory Park.

It was Boston who started the brightest out of the two teams but Chorley had the best of the early opportunities, good hold play from Carver creating a chance on the edge of the box but the shot was blocked.

Boston’s number 10, Tshimanga, was a continuous threat and Boston looked to use his pace on the counter, he was set free on 10 minutes but was flagged offside by the linesman.

The former MK Dons striker was involved again soon after in an aerial battle with Chorley captain Andrew Teague, a collision that forced the defender off for treatment although he was able to carry on.

Nick Haughton, who caused problems throughout the match, played in Josh O’Keefe with a back heel around the 20 minute mark who was brought down. Adam Blakeman took the free kick on the edge of the box but the shot was blocked by the Boston defence.

Haughton was again involved on 25 minutes, his good work down the right winning a Chorley corner, one that was cleared out as far as Scott Leather whose drive on the edge of the box narrowly fizzed wide.

Boston had a penalty appeal turned down on 27 minutes after a corner from the left was cleared by Chorley, Tshimanga was played in but went down in the box following that, the referee waving away the protests.

Boston then won a free kick on 40 minutes - a dangerous ball whipped in by Clifton bobbled in front of the home keeper Matt Urwin who was able to punch the ball away from danger at the second attempt.

Chorley’s best chance of the half came late on, Challoner playing a cross field ball to Blakeman who crossed the ball in, Scott Leather had a shot blocked with O’Keefe unable to divert a difficult scoring opportunity under defensive pressure past ‘keeper Willis.

The second half started in a similar way to the first, both sides probing for an opportunity - Scott Leather took the ball out from the centre of defence, his ambitious shot from over 40 yards only going narrowly wide of the left hand post.

Chorley won a corner soon after, the ball coming out to Haughton who attempted to curl the ball into the top corner but his effort went over the bar.

There was a worrying moment for the Magpies on 55 minutes, Urwin going down after he claimed a free kick but the Chorley goalkeeper was thankfully able to carry on with no substitute goalkeeper available for the Magpies. 

The best chance of the second half so far came on 56 minutes, a mistake from a Boston defender allowing Marcus Carver to run through on goal. The forward put pressure on the goalkeeper who could only half clear to the feet of Haughton, with the Fleetwood loanee attempting an effort from 35 yards, however the ball went narrowly wide of the left post.

The major talking point of the game came on 72 minutes. Haughton was brought down by Boston’s Jan Yeomans, the defender being shown a straight red card for an off the ball incident to leave the visitors down to 10 men.

Following that incident, the home side pressed for an opening with the extra man late on. Substitute Jason Walker was played in through the centre but he could not make contact on the delivery and the ball rolled through to the keeper.

O’Keefe headed over late in stoppage time but the game ended 0-0, with a trip to Boston’s York Street stadium on Tuesday night (7:45pm) for the replay set to decide which of the two sides reaches the FA Cup first round.

Chorley XI: Urwin, Challoner, Blakeman, Teague © (off Walker 68), Leather, Jordan, Haughton, O’Keefe, Carver, Wilson (off Hughes 80), Cottrell 

Subs: Anson, Charnock, Walker (on 68), Jarvis, Hughes (on 80), Azam, Osei Kofi 

Referee: Thomas Parsons

Attendance: 1,204


AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Wednesday February 28th
@ Lancashire FA Head Quarters
Partners Foundation
Challenge Trophy

Saturday March 3rd

On Our Travels

Saturday February 24th

Saturday March 10th