HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2017/18REPORT | Boston United 3 Chorley 4

REPORT | Boston United 3 Chorley 4

Chorley made history on an incredible night in Lincolnshire, beating Boston United 4-3 in extra time to reach the first round of the FA Cup for the first time in 27 years. 

After a dismal stalemate at the Chorley Group Victory Park Stadium on Saturday which finished 0-0, Matt Jansen’s men were forced into a replay at the Jakeman’s Stadium.

The first twenty minutes were forgettable to say the least, with Kobongo Tshimanga mustering the best effort for either side on three minutes, but Matt Urwin was there to hold onto the effort. 

Twenty minutes later and the deadlock was broken. A poorly timed header from Stephen Jordan fell to the feet of James Clifton on the right hand side, who swivelled and fired the ball under Matt Urwin to give the home side the lead.

Chorley mustered several half chances towards the end of the first-half, but it was all in vain.

The match was turned on it’s head in the second half with three goals in the first ten minutes. Nick Haughton was the star man yet again, scoring the first of his three goals on the night just three minutes after the restart. 

Adam Blakeman cut inside on the left and fed Haughton between the channels. The 23-year-old took a touch and then curled it in from the edge of the area into the goal below the goalkeeper.

Just 91 seconds later Boston retook the lead. Another defensive lapse allowed the impressive Tshimanga through and he bundled over Leather, beat Matt Urwin to the ball and poked it home despite Urwin’s best efforts to claw it away.

Seven minutes passed and Chorley equalised again in an end-to-end match. 

A superbly whipped in corner from Adam Blakeman met the head of the rising Andy Teague who thumped the ball into the top corner to make things level yet again.

The match continued to entertain throughout and Nick Haughton scored the goal of the night twenty minutes from time. 

The on loan Fleetwood man, who is ineligible to play against Fleetwood Town in the first round as well as Matt Urwin, gathered the ball on the left hand side. He cut inside, past two defenders and curled the ball beautifully into the top corner. 

The home crowd got behind Boston in the dying minutes and with five minutes to go, Boston equalised as substitute Greg Smith passed a cross field ball into the net from 15 yards out. 

Extra-time was needed to decide this tie which still had so much more to offer.

Substitute Matty Hughes was shown a straight red card in the 100th minute of the match for an incident which happened off the ball.

But that didn’t stop the Magpies make history as Nick Haughton scored his hat-trick and Chorley’s safe passage into the first round proper with a fantastic effort firing below the goalkeeper from 10 yards to spark jubilant scenes on the Chorley bench.

An unforgettable night for Chorley who now face League 1 side Fleetwood Town at the Chorley Group Victory Park Stadium on the weekend of 3-6 November. 

BOSTON UNITED: Willis, Wakefield, Yeomans, McGuire, Killock, McGowan, Thomas (Vince 67), Keane, Hawley (Smith 76), Tshimanga, Clifton (Rollins 65);

Subs (not used): Hemmings, Chapman, Beatson, Adams.

CHORLEY: Matt Urwin, Matt Challoner, Adam Blakeman, Andy Teague, Scott Leather, Stephen Jordan, Nick Haughton (Josh O’Keefe 115), Josh Wilson, Marcus Carver (Matty Hughes 90), Jason Walker (Rene Osei Kofi 119), Jake Cottrell;

Subs (not used): Keiran Charnock, Paul Jarvis, Adam Anson, Waqas Azam.

Goals: James Clifton (23), NICK HAUGHTON (50), Kabongo Tshimanga (51), ANDY TEAGUE (57), NICK HAUGHTON (61), Gregg Smith (82), NICK HAUGHTON (111)

Ref: Wayne Cartmel.

Att: 1,132

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Wednesday February 28th
@ Lancashire FA Head Quarters
Partners Foundation
Challenge Trophy

Saturday March 3rd

On Our Travels

Saturday February 24th

Saturday March 10th