HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2017/18REPORT | Stalybridge Celtic 1-3 Chorley (16/09/2017)

REPORT | Stalybridge Celtic 1-3 Chorley (16/09/2017)

Chorley are safely through to the third qualifying round of the FA Cup after a professional 1-3 win at Stalybridge Celtic.

Celtic, who were relegated from the National League North last season, started the match brightly at a chilly Bower Fold. Liam Dickinson, who counts Blackpool, Derby County and Brighton & Hove Albion on his list of former employers, made life tricky for the Chorley defenders early on.

An impressive curling ball forward by Aidan Chippendale, who was marking his 100th appearance for the home side, found Dickinson in space on the edge of the six-yard-box. His first time volley was hit sweetly and found the back of the net, only for the linesman on the far side to correctly adjudge him to be in an offside position. 

Ten minutes later, Magpies debutant Adam Anson almost headed into his own goal, had it not been for the awareness of Matt Urwin in goal. A cross on the right hand side by Theo Bailey-Jones caused problems in the box, with Anson heading the ball down into the ground towards the goal. Urwin did well to tip the ball over and out for a Stalybridge corner, which eventually came to nothing. 

The deadlock was eventually broken by the Magpies on 23 minutes, thanks to Josh Wilson’s anticipation. A back pass to Joe Slinn in the Celtic goal was closed down by Wilson, who forced Slinn to clear the ball away in a panic, only for Marcus Carver to simply collect and pass the ball into an empty net. 

Carver’s pace was a thorn in Stalybridge’s tiring defence throughout the match, and he continued to put them under pressure. 

The second half began as the first half ended, with Chorley creating chance after chance. 

Just five minutes after the restart, Chorley doubled their lead thanks to Josh Wilson’s glancing header.

Marcus Carver was blocked off by a defender on the right hand side, with the referee blowing for a free kick. Adam Blakeman whipped in the free-kick, with Josh Wilson just gett’ing a flick on to send it over the goalkeeper and into the goal to make it 0-2 to the visitors.

Despite Chorley’s two goal cushion, a nervy ending ensued, with Stalybridge awarded a penalty late on. The ball was played forward and substitute Paul Jarvis connected with the onrushing Aidan Chippendale. The penalty was given with Liam Dickinson stepping up and firing low into the right hand corner to set up an awkward ending for Chorley in what looked like a comfortable position.

Stalybridge’s efforts to claim a late equaliser left them vulnerable at the back however, and Jason Walker was able to pick up the ball on the right hand side and shoot at goal. His effort was saved well by the goalkeeper, but there was Josh Wilson to gather things up, calmly pass back to Walker and fire into an empty net. 

The third qualifying round awaits for the Magpies, with two rounds left until the first round proper. 

Chorley: Urwin, Challoner, Blakeman (OFF 52), Teague ©, Anson, Jordan, Haughton, Whitham (OFF 78), Carver, Wilson, Cottrell (OFF 59)

Subs: Roscoe, O’Keefe (ON 59), Jarvis (ON 52), Walker (ON 77) , Charnock, Hughes, Beesley

Stalybridge Celtic: Slinn, Morton ©, Garvin, Brown (OFF 52) , Ashworth, Honeyball, Chippendale, Roberts, Dickinson, Gee (OFF 69) , Bailey-Jones (OFF 52)

Subs: Charles, Cofie (ON 52) , Tongue (ON 69), Wilkinson, Ennis (ON 52) , Briggs

HT:  0-1  / FT: 1-3

Goals: Carver 23 mins, Wilson 50 mins, Dickinson PEN 87 mins, Walker 90 mins

Attendance: 551

Referee: Samuel Barrott

Assistant Referees: Stuart Richardson, James King

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Saturday January 27th

Saturday February 3rd

On Our Travels

Saturday January 20th

Friday February 9th