HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2017/18

MATCH REPORT | Chorley 1-0 Gainsborough Trinity

The Magpies eased to their first home win of 2018 with a 1-0 win against relegation-threatened Gainsborough Trinity, writes Alex Birch.

Josh Wilson scored the only goal of the game at the Chorley Group Victory Park Stadium, heading home from close range early in the second half to secure a well-deserved three points.

Team news

Matt Jansen made four changes from last week’s draw at FC United, with Matt Challoner, Dale Whitham, Lee Molyneux and Marcus Carver replacing Matty Hughes, Scott Leather, Jake Cottrell and Jason Walker. Trinity’s new boss Lee Sinnott made three changes for his first game in charge, swapping out Michael Jacklin, Alex Simmons and Ashley Worsfold for Josh Lacey, Nathan Stainfield and Nathan Jarman.

First half

There was a distinct lack of chances created in the first half, with neither side properly working the goalkeepers. Alex Newby created Chorley’s best opportunity, creating space in the box and teasing a cross over for the unmarked Molyneux. The on-loan winger was tackled before he could get his shot away, however, and Matt Challoner’s tame follow up was blocked.

Newby was also responsible for the Magpies only other chance of note, using his quick feet outside the box to give himself a yard. Unfortunately, his shot was weak and easily saved by Henrich Ravas.

Gainsborough’s only attempt of note was a stinging free kick from skipper Jarman, whose 25-yard thunderbolt flew inches wide of Urwin’s left hand upright.

Second half

The home side reappeared for the second half with a more positive outlook. Adam Blakeman was the first to register a shot, but despite a creative set up from Molyneux and Wilson, the left back’s effort didn’t trouble Ravas.

Trinity’s keeper was soon in action again, repelling a stabbed shot from the quick-as-a-flash Carver after Bradley Beatson had sold the former Slovakia youth international short with a header.

Another header more than troubled Gainsborough’s number one on 55 minutes, as Chorley’s pressure told. Challoner dinked a cross over from the byline and Wilson ghosted in to head home unmarked from 6 yards.

A goal-mouth scramble from a Newby free-kick almost doubled the advantage, but Josh O’Keefe and Andy Teague couldn’t force the ball home. Dale Whitham hit the post with a low drive from long range and Newby tested the reflexes of Ravas following a delicious Challoner feed.

Despite the almost constant probing for the final 20 minutes, a second goal wouldn’t come, and the Magpies had to settle for an a relatively easy one-goal victory.

SJL Heating & Plumbing and Plumbase MOTM: Alex Newby

Twitter fans’ poll MOTM: Josh Wilson


Chorley (4-2-3-1): Urwin; Challoner, Teague (c), Jordan, Blakeman; Whitham, O’Keefe; Newby, Wilson, Molyneux (Hughes, 56); Carver (Rigg, 80). Subs not used: Leather, Metz, Walker.

Gainsborough (4-1-4-1): Ravas; Lacey (Vann, 82), Stainfield, Beatson, Davie; Clarke; Bateson (Simmons, 60), Richards, L.King, C.King; Jarman (c). Subs not used: Jacklin, Evans, Russell, Vann.

HT 0-0 /FT 1-0

Goal scorersWilson (55)

Bookings: None

Red Cards: None

Attendance: 1,084

Referee: Adam Herczeg

Assistants: Scott Taylor & Ian Walsh

Next Up

Chorley’s Vanarama National League North clash with Nuneaton Town takes place next Saturday, with kick off at Liberty Way scheduled for 3pm

MATCH REPORT | FC United 0-0 Chorley

The Magpies played out a goal-less draw with FC United on a calm but cold night in north Manchester.

Alex Newby showed flashes on debut, especially during the first half when Chorley went forward with intent. The second 45 minutes passed without much in way of scoring chances, leaving both sides to settle for a point.

Team news

Matt Jansen made one change to the side that lost 1-0 at Gainsborough, with new signing Newby replacing Marcus Carver in a new-look attacking trio with Jason Walker and Josh Wilson. For FC United Scott Kay, Kieran Glynn and Jamal Crawford started ahead of Jordan Fagbola, Tyrell Palmer and Craig Lindfield.

First half

Chorley looked to take the game to their hosts, starting with an adventurously fluid approach. Newby’s inclusion added some craft and guile that almost produced an early breakthrough, but the goalmouth scramble that ensued couldn’t be capitalised on by Walker, Wilson, or Jake Cottrell. 

United had their moments going forward, with Kieran Glynn at the centre of their attacking flow, however, the visitors went closest to worrying the scoresheet.

Wilson, playing all over the forward line, tested Lloyd Allinson twice from range, before heading just wide from an Adam Blakeman corner. Blakeman went close with an effort of his own right on half time, but Allinson wasn’t worried by his rising drive.

Second half

Danny Racchi had the first effort on goal after the restart, but it was Chorley who continued to show more in the final third. Matty Hughes’ industry and Wilson’ accuracy created a chance for Josh O’Keefe, but the midfielder headed weakly wide.

Lee Molyneux was introduced on the hour to add some extra spark, but it was Allinson who almost gifted the Magpies a goal, swinging and missing on a back pass. Unfortunately, he recovered quickly enough to clear the ball off his own line.

Newby was unlucky not to get on the end of a deflected corner that Allinson had better luck with, and sub Marcus Carver hit the target late on. Although the effort wasn’t good enough to trouble United’s number one, who kept his clean sheet intact despite some indecisive moments.


FC United (4-2-3-1): Allinson; Senior, Hughes, Baird, Wisdom (Fagbola, 78); Kay (c), Racchi (Palmer, 90+2); Crawford (Tattum, 62), Glynn, McCarthy; Greaves. Subs not used: Jones, Lindfield.

Chorley (5-2-1-2): Urwin; Hughes (Molyneux, 62), Leather, Teague (c), Jordan, Blakeman; Cottrell, O’Keefe; Newby (Carver, 85); Walker (Challoner, 75), Wilson. Subs not used: Whitham, Metz.

HT 0-0 /FT 0-0

Goal scorers: None

Bookings: McCarthy (foul, 59), Racchi (foul, 74); O’Keefe (foul, 69)

Red Cards: None

Attendance: 2,286

Referee: Tom Kick

Assistants: Gareth Myers & Peter Walker

Next Up

The Magpies return to the Chorley Group Victory Park Stadium next Saturday for a second meeting in 18 days with managerless Gainsborough Trinity, kick off 3pm.


MATCH REPORT | Magpies lose to Marine

The Magpies run in this season’s Buildbase FA Trophy came to an end at the hands of Marine, as Tommy Lawson’s side came from behind to win 3-1 at The Chorley Group Victory Park Stadium.

Matty Hughes had given the hosts an early lead, but a goal from Adam Hughes and an own goal from Josh O’Keefe, coupled with a stoppage time strike from Danny Mitchley, saw the Evo-Stik Premier Division team through to round two.

Matt Jansen named an unchanged team from Chorley’s last league outing against Leamington. The visitors made one change to the side that beat Stafford Rangers 4-1 two weeks ago, with Phil Baker replacing Peter Wylie in the back four.

The home side made a flying start with a goal inside two minutes. A first meaningful possession ended with Hughes slamming home a volley from close range after an excellent headed centre by Marcus Carver.

Hughes almost grabbed his second within five minutes, but his header from Adam Blakeman’s deep cross was saved by Martin Fearon.

Marine responded with a Florian Da Silva header that was tipped over by Matt Urwin, and levelled soon after through Hughes, who gave Urwin no chance from six yards.

The first half continued at a great pace, as both teams attacked with intent. Danny Mitchley went closest for Marine, forcing Urwin into a terrific one-handed block. While Andy Teague’s deflected long-range drive was Chorley’s best response.

The second half saw an early Baker header saved with ease by Urwin, before Nick Haughton connected with a short corner only for Jason Walker to deflect the shot wide.

Chorley’s chances took a hit on the hour when Josh Wilson was shown a straight red card after a challenge on Billy Smart left both players lying hurt on the ground.

It took Marine 14 minutes to make their advantage count. James Murray went on a mazy run into the box and his low driven cross was inadvertently stabbed past Urwin by O’Keefe.

Try as they might the Magpies couldn’t find a reply in the final 10 minutes, with only Teague’s header against the post coming close, before Mitchley’s 15th of the season in stoppage time sent the away fans into raptures, and finished off any hopes of a Chorley recovery.

Chorley (4-3-3) Urwin; Challoner (Roscoe, 84), Teague (c), Leather, Blakeman; Wilson, O’Keefe, Haughton; Hughes, Walker (Whitham, 73), Carver. Subs not used: Jordan, Jarvis, Black.

Marine (4-4-1-1) Fearon; Strickland (Wylie, 57), Baker, Hughes, Short; Murray, Smart, Brewster (c), Da Silva (Reid, 86); Bailey; Mitchley. Subs not used: Lomax, Tongue, Grogan.

Goals: Hughes 2; Hughes 17, O’Keefe (O.G) 74, Mitchley 90+5

Bookings: Challoner (foul, 69); Smart (foul, 11)

Red cards: Wilson (foul, 60)

MOTM (The O2 Shop, Chorley): Adam Blakeman

MOTM (fans): Matty Hughes

Attendance: 708

Referee: Amy Fearns

Assistants: Tim Walker & Stuart Richardson

Fourth official: Owen Evans

More Articles...

Page 1 of 15

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Wednesday February 28th
@ Lancashire FA Head Quarters
Partners Foundation
Challenge Trophy

Saturday March 3rd

On Our Travels

Saturday February 24th

Saturday March 10th