HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2016/17Chorley 0-2 FC Halifax Town 29/04/2017

Chorley 0-2 FC Halifax Town 29/04/2017

Saturday April 29th
Chorley secured their place in the Vanarama North play-off spots on Saturday, but had to rely on other results going their way, following a 2-0 home defeat to Halifax Town.

The visitors were already safe in knowing their play-off spot was confirmed prior to the match, but knew they could still effect matters for the teams around them.

Boosted by a bumper crowd of nearly 2500 people, Chorley began the match the better of the two teams with Matt Challoner constantly exploiting the right hand side and feeding in crosses for the Magpies front two.

Unfortunately, it was a case of several missed chances for Marcus Carver and Jason Walker throughout the afternoon. On 19 minutes, following a Challoner cross, Walker’s effort on goal went just over.

Walker had another effort on goal a couple of minutes later, when his cross-come-shot was tipped behind by the impressive Sam Johnson in the Halifax goal.

Having soaked up a fair amount of pressure for the first half an hour, Halifax grew into the game and opened the deadlock on 40 minutes.

Following a goal mouth scramble a shot was saved awkwardly by Chorley’s goalkeeper, Christian Dibble, who appeared to drop the ball. Halifax’s giant striker Tom Denton was on hand to gather the rebound and fire into an empty net to make it 0-1 to the visitors.

Despite finding themselves a goal down at half-time, Chorley were still in the final play-off spot, thanks to Stockport being held at home to Gloucester.

The second half began as the first did, with Chorley creating half chances throughout. The best fell to Adam Blakeman just seven minutes after the restart, when his tame shot following a corner floated past everyone’s heads and smacked against the post.

Then, just five minutes later the news came in which nobody at Victory Park wanted to hear, as Stockport had taken the lead against Gloucester.

This news clearly reached the players and management, as Chorley upped the tempo whilst Matt Jansen brought on both Adam Roscoe and Robbie McDaid.

A succession of Chorley corners ensued on 75 minutes, yet despite some great deliveries, nobody was there to give Chorley that all important goal.

With 10 minutes remaining, it began to look bleak for the Magpies, who needed a goal themselves or a Gloucester equaliser just 14 miles away at Edgeley Park, to climb back into the play-offs.

Incredibly, the latter happened on 81 minutes, when news of a Gloucester equaliser swept through the ground.

Chorley maintained their resilience and attempted to cement their place themselves in the top five, but were undone in added time when Matt Challoner tripped Josh Wilde over in the box and the referee awarded a penalty. Substitute Liam King stepped up and smashed the ball low into the left hand corner, with Dibble going the opposite way.

The final whistle went soon after, and an anxious wait followed, with the Chorley management team all refreshing their phones for updates of the final score at Stockport.

The news finally came through a minute later of the full-time score at Stockport finishing 1-1, sparking jubilant scenes on the pitch as Chorley secured their place in the play-off spots.

We face Kidderminster Harriers at home in the semi finals on Wednesday 3 May, with the away leg set to take place on Sunday 7 May for a place in the Vanarama North Final.

Team: Dibble, Challoner, Jarvis, Teague, Leather, Charnock, Blakeman, Whitham, Carver, Walker, Cottrell

Subs: McDaid, Roscoe

Not used: O’Keefe, Beesley, Azam

Attendance: 2462 Man of the Match: Andy Teague

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Wednesday February 28th
@ Lancashire FA Head Quarters
Partners Foundation
Challenge Trophy

Saturday March 3rd

On Our Travels

Saturday February 24th

Saturday March 10th