HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2016/17Gloucester City 2-2 Chorley 22/04/2017

Gloucester City 2-2 Chorley 22/04/2017

Saturday April 22nd

Chorley came back from behind twice at a sun drenched Whaddon Road to take a share of the spoils, writes Paul Metcalfe.

In a game which had everything for the neutral, Whitham and Walker found the net for the Magpies, either side of a Sampson sending off.

Knowing that a win would guarantee a place in the play offs, Chorley started the game on the front foot, Adam Blakeman with a fine shot from forty yards out, however Jasbir Singh in the Gloucester goal had to stand and watch as the ball sailed wide, to the left hand upright.

On five minutes Kieran Thomas passed the ball upfield to Zack Kotwika, however the move petered out as it floated away to safety.

Chorley had enjoyed the opening encounters as the Twelfth Man sang their hearts out, spurring the lads on, however it was the home side who were to take the lead against the run of play.  A Hanks free kick from fifty yards out floated down to Luke Hopper who had the simplest of tap ins find the net with just eight minutes gone.

Eight minutes later, Stephen Jordan had to receive treatment from the Chorley physio as he slumped to the pitch.  Despite the best efforts, the defender had to walk off the pitch, having played his last part in the game.

The enforced substitution meant a tactical change from the bench as Jansen swapped to four at the back and three up front as Jason Walker took to the field.

Walker had only been on the field for one minute when captain, Andy Teague picked out a cross into the box. Dale Whitham was on the end of it and tapped the ball into the bottom left of the net to equalise.

Things could have been on the turn for Chorley with the score at 1-1, however a Gloucester ball on 25 minutes found Chris Knowles in the box before a sliding tackle from Teague felled the man in the yellow and black stripes and Referee Matthew O’Donohue had no hesitation in pointing to the spot. Up stepped Joe Hanks and, although debutant Christian Dibble got a hand to the ball, the spot kick found the back of the net.

Chasing the equalising goal, much of the play turned Chorley’s way once again with them making most of the advances.  However on thirty nine minutes, there were nervy moments for the Chorley fans as the referee consulted with his linesman before Jack Sampson was shown a red card for an elbow on Spencer Hamilton. 

As the minutes ticked down to half time, Dibble was called into action again as Sam Avery looked set to take Gloucester to three goals, however the keeper tipped the header over his goal.

Parity was restored just before the break as Teague sent a powerful lob into the box which ricocheted off the post.  Jason Walker was in the perfect spot to pick up the rebound and tapped it into the net.

The second half saw Chorley start the brighter with an early corner.  Blakeman floated the ball into the area with Teague heading the ball goalwards, however there was too much height on it and sent the shot over Singh’s top post.

Just before the hour mark there was a perfect opportunity to take the lead as Walker failed to place the ball into an empty net from the back post.

Minutes later, at the other end, Kotwica had his chance to take the lead as he was one on one with Dibble, however Teague was on hand to slide the ball away to safety.

Just after the hour mark, there were shouts for a red card for Hopper after a late challenge on Marcus Carver; the Chorley front man dropping to the floor.  However the Tiger went into the book with a yellow instead.

Carver was on hand to raise the hopes of the travelling faithful as he looked certain to score, however Singh made an excellent save to deny his opportunity.

As the minutes ticked down, Gloucester made their one man advantage show as Chorley were forced to defend deeper and deeper.  Five minutes from time, there was a goalmouth scramble in the Chorley area, however the defence stood strong and prevented the ball from crossing the line.

And so a plucky Chorley side gained a valuable point away from home with the score ending at 2-2.

This means we go into next week’s vital home game against Halifax where three points will guarantee a play off place.

Staring XI: Christian Dibble, Matt Challoner, Paul Jarvis, Andy Teague, Scott Leather, Stephen Jordan, Adam Blakeman, Dale Whitham, Marcus Carver, Jack Sampson, Jake Cottrell

Subs: Jason Walker, Josh O’Keefe

Subs not used:  Waqas Azam, Kieran Charnock, Adam Roscoe

Goals: Luke Hopper (9), DALE WHITHAM (21), Joe Hanks (25, pen), JASON WALKER (45) 

Red Card: JACK SAMPSON (39)

Att: 526 Man of the Match: The 12th Man.  The travelling faithful were at their very best today and no doubt spurred the lads on to the vital point.  More next please

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Wednesday February 28th
@ Lancashire FA Head Quarters
Partners Foundation
Challenge Trophy

Saturday March 3rd

On Our Travels

Saturday February 24th

Saturday March 10th