HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2016/17FC United of Manchester 3-3 Chorley 11/02/2017

FC United of Manchester 3-3 Chorley 11/02/2017

Saturday February 11th

One well used phrase sums up today’s game perfectly as it was certainly “A Game of Two Halves”.

After an abject first half, a superb second forty-five (plus six) saw the Magpies salvage a point from what looked certain defeat.

In the opening exchanges both sides pressed forward and the first effort of the game fell to Adam Blakeman who’s drive was blocked, but the game soon swung in FC’s favour.

The hosts took the lead when Jerome Wright capitalised on some sloppy Chorley possession play on the edge of their own area.  He whipped in a cross and Jason Gilchrist slotted home on seven minutes.

The goal appeared to knock the Magpies confidence and until half time it was a nervous display.

There were mute shouts for a Magpies penalty, mute as the supporters were at the opposite end of the stadium due to segregation, but the challenge on Jack Samspon wasn’t deemed a foul by the referee, Mr Mulraine.

Despite the early warning, Chorley continued to try and play the ball out of defence, but more often than not ended with FC United gaining possession.  On the occasion the longer ball was played chances were created, Marcus Carver and Will Beesley combining for Blakeman, but the left-footer lashed over with his weaker boot.

On 26 minutes FC United doubled their advantage when Matt Wolfenden tapped on from close range, following in a rebound off keeper Ritchie Branagan.

The Magpies performance at this stage was best described a stale; no cohesion, no sprit and very little ability on display.  FC United pressed for a third, a goal that would surely seal the three points, while the Magpies searched in vain for a spark to reignite the performance.

The third goal finally arrived on the stroke of half time, the only surprise it took so long for it to arrive, and where the two opening goals were somewhat gifted to FC, this was earned as Nathan Low drove in from 25 yards.

During the interval, there were grumbles on the terrace; “should we go home now”, “they’ll get six if we play like that” and much more along those lines!

The teams emerged from the tunnel after the interval and Robbie McDaid was brought on for Teague.  To be fair to the captain almost anyone of the starting eleven could he been taken off as no-one had put in a performance in the first half. 

Whatever was said during the interval certainly had an effect as McDaid stormed down the left flank right from the kick-off, crossed to Jack Sampson who prodded the ball beyond the previously underworked 41-year-old Brazilian keeper Adriano Basso.

Could the comeback be on?

The goal certainly lifted the Magpies and on 56 minutes the game was on when McDaid finished superbly from 15 yards, slotting accurately beyond Basso.

Carver shot over and Whitham tamely headed at Basso as Chorley pressed for what was not long before an unthinkable equaliser.

The more Chorley pushed forward, the more susceptible they were on the break and Branagan and the back four had to be alert.  Several free-kicks were conceded, but none converted.

Whitham was withdrawn soon after a heavy collision with teammate McDaid, Josh O’Keefe taking his place.

With time running our more bodies where pushed forward in search or an equaliser.

With three minutes of normal time remaining O’Keefe chased a ball into the box and tumbled under pressure from the defence and collided with keeper Basso.

The referee rightly awarded the hosts a free-kick, but immediately after the whistle Basso lashed out at O’Keefe while both players were on the ground.  After a brief deliberation with the assistant, Basso was red carded, however his South American temperament got the better of him as he initially refused to leave the pitch and then chased after the assistant for an explanation for his dismissal.

Eventually the situation calmed and Basso stripped his shirt and gloves off as he trudged off; ex-Magpie Sam Sheridan donning the gloves for the final stages.

“A minimum of five minutes” was to be added before the Basso incident, and every second added proved crucial.

With 96 on the clock Chorley won a free-kick on the left flank.  Adam Roscoe was thrown on from the bench, replacing Beesley.  The home defence tried to reorganised to cover the aerial threat of Roscoe, but at the back post in swept Scott Leather to head in an unlikely equaliser that silenced the majority of the Broadhurst Park crowd but sent the travelling Magpies into raptures!

“That’s our Istanbul” one supporter said!

Starting XI: Ritchie Branagan, Matt Challoner, Will Beesley, Andy Teague, Scott Leather, Stephen Jordan, Adam Blakeman, Dale Whitham, Marcus Carver, Jack Sampson, Jake Cottrell

Subs: Kieran Charnock, Josh O'Keefe (Whitham, 85), Robbie McDaid (Teague, 45), Waqas Azam, Adam Roscoe (Beesley, 90+6)

Att: 2403

Goals: Jason Gilchrist (7), Matt Wolfenden (26), Nathan Lowe (45), JACK SAMPSON (46), ROBBIE MCDAID (56), SCOTT LEATHER (90+6) Man of the Match:  Robbie McDaid, he was the catalyst for an unlikely comeback

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Saturday January 27th

Saturday February 3rd

On Our Travels

Saturday January 20th

Friday February 9th