HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2015/16Northwich Victoria 0-0 Chorley (23/10/2015)

Northwich Victoria 0-0 Chorley (23/10/2015)

Friday October 23rd, 7.45pm
The Emirates FA Cup
4th Qualifying Round

The Magpies played out a 0-0 draw against Northwich Victoria at Wincham Park last night writes Jack Wynne.

A replay between the two sides will take place on Tuesday 27th October after the draw for the first round, which is the day before at 7PM.

Vics had not conceded a single goal at home in all competitions, a record which Chorley came close to ending on several occasions, but for some fine goalkeeping from substitute keeper Dane Smith.

36 places separate the two sides on the football pyramid but the hosts kept Chorley at bay for the duration of the match.

The home side had a free kick from just outside the box in the opening minute but Jordan Williams’ effort was just an inch too high over the bar.

Chorley’s best chance in the first half fell to Josh Hine when he latched onto Darren Stephenson’s cross but his header from inside the box rattled the bar inside six minutes.

At the other end and Sam Ashton was quick off his line to collect the ball when Richie Bennett got in behind the Chorley defence.

13 minutes played and Stephenson’s shot from outside the box failed to trouble Mason Springthorpe as the ball sailed straight over the bar.

Five minutes before the interval and Springthorpe was on the floor after a collision with Andy Teague during a corner.

Several bandages and a few minutes later, the Vics keeper was back on his feet and play resumed.

Approaching the end of added time in the first half, Hine looked to be in on goal after a through ball from Stephenson but Springthorpe was alert to the threat and snuffed out the danger.

The collision with Teague in the first half eventually forced Northwich to make a change as Smith was introduced at half-time.

46 minutes played and Sam Ashton made his first save of the match as Jimmy Ball’s strike from outside the box was aimed straight at the Chorley keeper.

Smith who was brought on at the interval, made his first vital intervention with 55 minutes played, blocking Chris Doyle’s header from close range.

The Vics keeper was called into action just two minutes later but it was a fairly comfortable save as the shot from James Dean inside the box was straight at him.

Chorley were again denied by Smith, who stopped Jake Cottrell from heading Max Cartwright’s free-kick into the back of the net from close range.

Entering the final few minutes, and Ashton made a rare save, collecting Iain Howard’s long-distance strike with ease.

Starting XI: Sam Ashton, Mark Ross, Max Cartwright, Andy Teague, Chris Doyle, Jake Cottrell, Josh Hine, Harry Winter, James Dean, Andy Bond, Darren Stephenson

Subs: Kieran Charnock, Lewis Guy, Marcus Carver (Hine, 65), Dale Whitham (Winter, 52), Adam Roscoe, Paul Jarvis, Adam Dodd

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Wednesday February 28th
@ Lancashire FA Head Quarters
Partners Foundation
Challenge Trophy

Saturday March 3rd

On Our Travels

Saturday February 24th

Saturday March 10th