HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2015/16Chorley 2-0 Frickley Athletic (26/09/2015)

Chorley 2-0 Frickley Athletic (26/09/2015)

Saturday September 26th, 3pm
The FA Emirates Cup
2nd Qualifying Round

James Dean's double helped Chorley avoid a potential banana skin and sail into the Third Qualifying Round of the FA Cup with a 2-0 victory over Evo-Stik Premier side Frickley Athletic writes Elliott Walsh.

The visitors were enjoying a bright start to their league campaign and currently sit  just outside the play-offs, though neither side could lay claim to the early stages of the game. Dean, who was given a start in place of Marcus Carver, whose parent side Accrington refused permission for the striker to play, was the focal point of the Chorley attack, which play going through him. He hit a powerful shot from the edge of the box which sting the palms of Mallowski who grabbed the ball at the second attempt. 

The Magpies nearly found themselves a goal down to Luke Hinsley's right footed strike from twelve yards. He got into space but couldn't beat Sam Ashton at his near post. Both sides found themselves caught in a typical cup tie, and were both unable to break down the other. Long shots seemed to be the only way, with Malkowski and Ashton having a relatively quiet first half. Dean had the best effort from range, but it went straight into the hands of Malkowski. 

Dean could have had himself a first half goal. His glancing header from an Andy Bond corner fizzed past the outside of the post. 

The prospect of a replay on Tuesday night was something Chorley seemed keen to avoid after the break. They came out a much different side to the one which walked in fifteen minutes earlier. 

Darren Stephenson proved to be a menace to the Frickley backline. His pace and strength on the ball threatened, and he was able to get a good shot away early in the half, but it was too close to Malkovic. 

Dean felt he could have had a penalty after being bundled in the area, however the referee thought otherwise. Just five minutes later Darren Stephenson cut inside, beating two Frickley defenders on his way to being tripped inside the area. This time the referee had no choice but to award the penalty. James Dean stepped up and sent the goalkeeper the wrong way, scoring his first goal of the season. 

The Magpies appeared to be settling for the draw and invited Frickley into the game, who were still unable to trouble Ashton. Chorley always looked the more likely side to add the second goal of the game on the counter. Lewis Gur broke free following a Frickley free kick, but he was unable to find a man with his attempted square ball. 

Dean eventually scored the goal which sealed the win three minutes from time. He latched onto a Bond pass and was able to muscle his way past Curus before slotting past Malkowski at the near post.

Starting XI: Sam Ashton, Mark Ross, Adam Dodd, Andy Teague, Chris Doyle, Jake Cottrell, Josh Hine, Dale Whitham, James Dean, Andy Bond, Darren Stephenson

Subs: Keiran Charnock, Lewis Guy (Hine, 67), Sam Sheridan, Adam Roscoe (Bond, 82), Paul Jarvis (Dean 89), Harry Winter, Lloyd Rigby

Goals: JAMES DEAN (60 pen, 88)

Att542 Man of the Match: Darren Stephenson



AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Wednesday February 28th
@ Lancashire FA Head Quarters
Partners Foundation
Challenge Trophy

Saturday March 3rd

On Our Travels

Saturday February 24th

Saturday March 10th