HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2015/16Tamworth 2-1 Chorley (02/04/2016)

Tamworth 2-1 Chorley (02/04/2016)

Saturday April 2nd, 3pm

Chorley crashed to a fourth successive defeat away from home, losing 2-1 against play-off hopefuls Tamworth at the Lamb Ground writes Jack Wynne.

Ross Dyer fired the home side ahead early in the second half, striking a low shot against the post and into the back of the net.

Elliot Durrell made certain of all three points, converting a penalty kick after Dyer was fouled by Kieran Charnock in the latter stages of the second half.

Darren Stephenson pulled back a late consolation in the fourth minute of stoppage time, placing the ball past Belshaw into the bottom corner.

Chorley goalkeeper Sam Ashton was tested early on, making a good stop to deny Danny Newton’s driven shot from inside the box towards the bottom-right corner.

Kaid Mohamed looked to have beaten Ashton with a low shot which struck the left-hand post but the flag was up for offside.

Andy Teague looked to force a save from James Belshaw but he headed Mark Ross’ throw straight at the Tamworth goalkeeper.

Jordan Connerton volleyed the ball from inside the box towards the bottom corner, following Stephenson’s headed pass, but it was too close to Belshaw.

20 minutes played, Stephenson raced down the right before coming inside and forcing Belshaw to palm a shot past the near post with a low driven shot from inside the box.

Durrell saw his low shot blocked by Courtney Meppen-Walter before firing the rebound wide in the 33rd minute.

Will Beesley fired wide with a first-time shot from the edge of the box after Connerton’s driven pass.

Two minutes before the interval, Stephenson missed a glorious chance to break the deadlock, firing wide from six yards after Connerton’s square pass.

Belshaw leapt across to deny Cottrell’s curling effort from just outside the box into the second minute of added time.

Teague almost broke the deadlock six minutes into the second half, directing Cottrell’s pass onto the underside of the cross bar from six yards, following Dale Whitham’s short corner.

Dyer scored the first goal of the match in the 54th minute, firing a low shot against the post and into the back of the net after Chorley failed to clear their lines.

Just after the hour, substitute Micah Evans tested Belshaw, cutting inside before unleashing a low shot straight at the Tamworth stopper.

Dyer had a chance to double his tally for the afternoon, diverting Durrell’s corner straight over the bar from inside the box.

Evans broke into the space down the right and found Stephenson in the centre but he couldn’t sort his feet out and the chance disappeared.

Four minutes before full-time, Durrell scored from the penalty spot, guiding the ball into the top-right corner after Dyer was fouled by Charnock.

Stephenson pulled a goal back in the final few minutes, guiding the ball into the bottom-left corner from inside the box.

Starting XI: Sam Ashton, Mark Ross, Will Beesley, Andy Teague, Keiran Charnock, Courtney Meppen-Walter, Adam Roscoe, Dale Whitham, Jordan Connerton, Darren Stephenson & Jake Cottrell

Subs: Raul Correia, Jack Lynch, Jack Dorney (Meppen-Walter), Paul Jarvis (Beesley) & Micah Evans (Connerton)

Goals: Dyer (54) Durrell (86) DARREN STEPHENSON(94)

Att: 641

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Wednesday February 28th
@ Lancashire FA Head Quarters
Partners Foundation
Challenge Trophy

Saturday March 3rd

On Our Travels

Saturday February 24th

Saturday March 10th