HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2015/16AFC Telford United 2-0 Chorley (05/03/2016)

AFC Telford United 2-0 Chorley (05/03/2016)

Saturday March 5th, 3pm

Telford claimed three points against a ten man Chorley side who concede two goals late in the first half to set back any play-off ambitions writes Elliott Walsh.

The Magpies travelled to Telford who sat in the relegation some before the start of play, but the Bucks defied their lowly position by starting the brighter of the sides. Connor McCarthy should have given them an early lead when he found himself one-on-one with Ashton. Only a great save from the Chorley number one denied him.

From that moment it was Chorley who dominated by struggled to find an opening. Montgomery had an easy job commanding his area from a string of Whitham crosses.

Paul Jarvis came close from a cross. It swirled in the are before going narrowly over the bar but the Magpies couldn't create a clear chance. Keil O'Brien heading over the best opportunity from 12 yards.

The home side had seen a recent upturn in form, and they got the ball forward well in numbers after seeing off the early pressure. Teague cut off McCarthy before Cofie dragged a shot wide from the edge of the box.

Chorley's front line were getting frustrated. The ball dropped for Connerton but he snatched at the opportunity from 25 yards putting his shot wide.

But it was becoming one way traffic. Wilson had a golden chance to put his side in the lead. McCarthy held the ball up well, drawing Ashton out before laying off to the aforementioned Wilson. He tried to pass the ball into the net but Teague cleared off the line.

That simply delayed the inevitable, and just a minute later Telford took the lead. Chorley failed to clear the ball and Cofie confidently curled the ball past Ashton from 20 yards.

And right on half time there was controversy. The ball had long gone before the referee pointed at the spot for a penalty. An off the ball incident between Teague and Wilson saw the Chorley skipper see red and a penalty to Telford. Dawson sent Ashton the wrong way leaving Chorley's chances of gaining anything from the game looking slim.

Chorley struggled to get back into the game. A man down and two goals too it was difficult to create space against a well organised Telford. It took 25 minutes of the second half before Dorney had the first shot of the half for Chorley. Whitham had held the ball up but Dorney's effort from the edge of the area was over the bar.

If there was to be another goal it was going to come from Telford. McCarthy and Cofie led the line well but were unlucky to not add another. Ashton produced a fine save to deny Wilson and Cofie couldn't react fast enough to tap in for what would have been an open goal.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Saturday January 27th

Saturday February 17th

On Our Travels

Saturday January 20th

Tuesday January 30th