HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2015/16Lowestoft Town 2-0 Chorley (19/09/2015)

Lowestoft Town 2-0 Chorley (19/09/2015)

Saturday September 19th, 3pm

Chorley suffered their fifth defeat of the season at the hands of Lowestoft Town on Saturday writes Josh Vosper. 

The Magpies made the long journey in good spirits on the back of two fantastic wins against Boston United and Stockport County respectively. Although they looked a completely different team at the Crown Meadow, giving the Trawler Boys the space, time and energy to complete a two-nil victory. It was well-deserved as Ryan Jarvis and Robert Eagle capitalised on a lethargic performance, 285 miles from home. 

In a fast open game there was little to choose between the two sides in the first half. Danny Burns had a header tipped over the bar by Ashton who also did well to save a thunderous shot from the impressive Jarvis. At the other end, Chorley carved out a chance with Whitham who saw his downward header sail just wide. This seemed to lift the Magpies as Bond and Cottrell worked tirelessly in the middle of the park. On 15 minutes, Stephenson made a good run down the wing, unleashing a shot that was blocked by Sam Nunn at the back. Although the visitors were struggling to find their footing and create anything clear cut. After a Bond free-kick, captain Teague laid the ball to Whitham, who had more time than he initially thought to fire high and wide. On the half-hour mark, Chorley created the best chance of the half. After a dangerous corner floated in by Whitham, Morecambe loanee Chris Doyle saw his shot from just inside the box blocked on the line, and after a scramble the hosts managed to clear. As half-time approached the Blues started to play some impressive football. The best chance coming from striker Jake Reed, as he hit the ball across goal and wide of the post.

Lowestoft started the second half more brightly, although the Magpies caught them off guard in the first minute. Marcus Carver managed to unleash a shot as the rebound fell for Andy Bond who saw his guided effort saved by Harry Burgoyne at the near post. Minutes later the hosts should have taken the lead themselves, as Reed somehow fired over from close range. As the Trawler Boys kept plugging away, manager Jansen made the changes as Guy and Dean replaced Stephenson and Carver. The home side continued to press and had a great chance to take the lead on the hour. After some neat footwork, Jake Reed made the most of Kieran Charnock sticking his leg out in the box, giving referee Lee Betts no other option but to point to the spot. The responsibility was given to Ryan Jarvis, who stepped up but saw his penalty brilliantly saved by Ashton to keep Chorley in the game. Five minutes later a rare Chorley foray saw James Dean's header cleared off the line before Lowestoft finally broke through and took the lead. 

Robert Eagle's corner in the 79th minute was cleared back to him and from the resultant cross Jarvis rose the highest to head home, as Ashton could only look on. Jansen reacted with the third and final change of the game as Sheridan replaced Charnock. The visitors had now gone to three at the back and were naturally having to take the game to their hosts, who showed a great level of determination. Although they never looked like finding that elusive goal, much to the frustration of the die-hards who had made the longest journey of the season. The Blues nearly doubled their lead when Barker sent his volley flying wide and as the game entered stoppage time, it was game over for the black and white army. Jake Reed put through substitute Robert Eagle who expertly finished past Ashton to seal all three points. The whistle followed shortly after, much to the delight of the Trawler Boys. For the Magpies it was a bad day at the office, who still haven't defeated the Suffolk side since facing each other for the first time last season. 

Chorley XI: Sam Ashton, Mark Ross, Chris Doyle, Andy Teague, Kieran Charnock, Jake Cottrell, Josh Hine, Dale Whitham, Marcus Carver, Andy Bond, Darren Stephenson

Subs: James Dean (Carver, 58), Paul Jarvis, Lewis Guy (Stephenson, 52), Sam Sheridan (Charnock, 82), Adam Dodd

Att: 588 

Goals: Ryan Jarvis 79, Robert Eagle 90+1 Man of the Match: Sam Ashton - Made a few world class saves, including the penalty to keep the score respectable   

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Wednesday February 28th
@ Lancashire FA Head Quarters
Partners Foundation
Challenge Trophy

Saturday March 3rd

On Our Travels

Saturday February 24th

Saturday March 10th