HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2014/15Chorley 1-0 Guiseley 31/03/2015

Chorley 1-0 Guiseley 31/03/2015

Tuesday March 31st, 7.45pm

Chorley ground out three points against promotion contenders Guiseley to leapfrog above the Yorkshire side into third place in the Conference North.

In contrast to Saturday’s opponents, Guiseley were a far more organised unit and proved difficult to break down, but when Josh Hine followed up a Jack Dorney shot from the edge of the area to give the Magpies a win it meant a fourth straight league victory and just a single defeat in the last ten games.

Chorley started well and Aaron Burns fired an early effort just inches wide of Steven Drench’s right hand post but the Guiseley dragged themselves into the reckoning and Wayne Brooksby forced Sam Asthon into a save.

Just after the half hour mark after a spell where both sides cancelled one another out Chorley were awarded a penalty.  Keeper Drench spilled high ball into the area and as he tried to recover with Hine chasing the ball a combination of keeper and defender clashed, sending Hine over; this was one of those you don’t usually get, but you can’t turn down a gift…  However Hine did just this as Drench saved his spot kick diving to his right to push the ball wide.

Chorley perhaps edged the opening forty-five minutes, without really controlling proceeding, but after the break Guiseley built on a solid start to then take the game to their hosts.

Around the hour mark Guiseley had their best spell of the match with Adam Boyes forging four good chances.

First Adam Boyes should have done better with a header from a right wing cross, rising unchallenged in the centre of the area he headed wide with the entire goal to aim at.

His next two efforts improved, first forcing a routine save from Ashton, then the Chorley stopper tipped the next onto the bar.

The final attempt in the spell saw Ashton pull off the save of the game, flicking the ball from close range over the bar.

Chorley survived this spell, but the pressure continued as Guiseley looked to extract revenge for our FA Trophy victory earlier in the season, but the defence looked at its rock solid best to keep they visitors out.

Jake Lawlor and Oli Johnson both had efforts as the visitors pressed.

Garry Flitcroft responded by changing the front line around.  Aaron Burns, who had ploughed a lonely furrow in attach all evening was withdrawn; Hine moved into the centre and Chris Almond was brought on playing on the right wing and within two minutes the change won the match.

A Mark Ross throw-in landed kindly for Dorney on the edge of the area, but his drive was parried by his former Leigh Genesis teammate Drench, but Hine was quick to response, latching onto the loose ball and slamming it home before the keeper would recover his footing.

The majority of the 1000+ supporter in attendance, a superb turnout on a cold, wet and windy Tuesday night when England were also on terrestrial TV, went scent of three points and third place now strong.

After four additional minutes were added the Magpies climbed to third place in the Vanarama Conference North, our highest position in the league since mid-November.

Starting XI: Sam Ashton, Mark Ross, Paul Jarvis, Andy Teague, Chris Doyle, Adam Roscoe, Josh Hine, Dale Whitham, Aaron Burns, Harry Winter, Jack Dorney

Subs: Chris Almond (Burns, 83), Jack Cottrell (Winter, 64), Adam Dodd, Matty Flynn, Jack Lynch.

Att: 1,011

Goal: JOSH HINE (85) Man of the Match: Sam Ashton, his saves around the hour mark kept us in the game.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Wednesday February 28th
@ Lancashire FA Head Quarters
Partners Foundation
Challenge Trophy

Saturday March 3rd

On Our Travels

Saturday February 24th

Saturday March 10th