HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2013/14Chorley 2-1 v Curzon Ashton 30/11/2013

Chorley 2-1 v Curzon Ashton 30/11/2013

Saturday November 30th, 3pm
FA Trophy First Round

Chorley continued to rewrite history by extending the club record winning run to 12 games following a battling performance in the FA Trophy against Curzon Ashton at The Chorley Group Victory Park Stadium today.

Curzon started brightly and blazed an early effort over the bar in the opening minute but it was Chorley who took the lead through James Dean.

A Mark Ross long throw was helped across the area by Captain Andy Teague.  Paul Jarvis, at the back post, tried to slot the ball through a sea of legs but the rebound fell kindly for Dean who slammed the ball home.

The early goal didn’t dampen the visitor’s spirit and the unbeaten Evo-Stik First Division North side continued to push the Magpies and from a free kick just minutes after the goal a Ryan Brooke header glanced just wide.

Josh Hine failed to make proper contact with a Darren Stephenson cross with the goal gapping and then Dale Whitham lashed a shot just over the bar from 20 yards on the quarter hour mark.

While Chorley where physically stronger than their opponents and where well in control in the air, but Curzon’s pace and directness was a constant threat.

Hine volleyed over from a Adam Mather ball, then Sam Walker hit a 25 yarder which Sam Ashton needed a minute to ‘console’ himself after blocking the ball with the family jewels!!!

Curzon threatened through Matthew Warburton, but the strikers cross sailed harmlessly wide then down the other end of the pitch Whitham hit another shot over the bar from a Mather cross.

The complexion of the game changed in the 30th minute.  After a foul on Dean on the half way line was ignored by the referee Curzon advanced and Ross bundled over Warburton just inside the box; a penalty yes but the red card that followed was harsh to say the least.  However Walker’s spot kick flew wide of the post.

Whitham slotted in at right-back to cover for Ross with Hine and Stephenson dropping a little deeper as Garry and his team regrouped ready for the final hour.

Two minutes after the sending off Hine was felled just inches outside the box, this time though the culprit, Andy Watson, only received a yellow from Mr Jones and to compound this from the Mather free-kick Adam Roscoe was ruled as off-side as he headed in what he thought was Chorley’s second goal.

Curzon continued to press.  Stephenson heading a whipped in corner behind then Ryan Watson seeing a shot deflected as the visitors looked to make numerical advantage count.

Hine was body checked while heading for the area, but the officials ignored the appeals, then Roscoe headed a Whitham corner over.

The final action of the half saw Sam Ashton spill a Walker shot, but the striker slipped as he attempted to follow up and the ball was cleared to safety.

Straight after the restart Teague headed a Mather free-kick narrowly over then Ryan Watson tried his luck from all of 35 yards, but Ashton just watch is soar away.

As the game progressed, ten-man Chorley sat deeper while Curzon continued to search for a way through the Magpies backline.

Ryan Watson had another pot-shot at Ashton’s goal then it took a superb tackle from Keil O’Brien to deny Warburton inside the box.

Teague nodded clear with fifteen minutes to go as the visitors continued to press, the resistance so far seamed to inspire a more attaching spirit and Chorley started to step forward more.

Teague won a head, this time at the other end of the pitch, but could only watch as his effort was cleared off the line then seconds later Dean scuffed a shot over the bar when the striker should have scored.

With just three minutes left on the clock Walker atoned for his missed penalty with a curled wickedly and went in off the inside if Ashton’s goal to seemingly give Curzon a deserved replay and end the Magpies winning streak.

However, good teams don’t give up and great teams just keep on winning, and a last minutes finish from Josh Hine sent the majority of the 595 in attendance at the Chorley Group Victory Park Stadium into raptures and the club into the second round proper with another FA cheque in the bank.

In the dying minutes Adam Mather twice stormed down the left flank into the area and crossed to Hine, the first saw the strikers header go straight into the keepers arms but he made no mistake with the second cross and the Magpies overcame adversity and progressed both their Trophy run and winning sequence.

With a total of £14,950 now banked thanks to the FA and Trophy sponsors Carlsberg, we must wait for Monday afternoon’s draw to find out who and where next in the final 32 when another £6,000 will be up for grabs.

Chorley XI: Sam Ashton, Mark Ross, Adam Mather, Andy Teague, Keil O’Brien, Adam Roscoe, Josh Hine, Dale Whitham, James Dean, Darren Stephenson, Paul Jarvis

Subs: Jamie Vermiglio (Jarvis, 91), Simon Wiles, Alex Meaney, Brandon Zibaka, Aaron Grundy

Att: 595

Goals: JAMES DEAN (5), Sam Walker (87), JOSH HINE (90)

Sending Off: Mark Ross (30) Man of the Match:  The Team, can’t single any one player out after that performance!



AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Saturday December 16th
Buildbase FA Trophy
1st Round

Tuesday December 26th
Boxing Day

On Our Travels

Tuesday December 12th

Saturday December 23rd