HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2013/14Soham Town Rangers v Chorley - 02/11/2013

Soham Town Rangers v Chorley - 02/11/2013

Saturdayday November 2nd, 3pm
FA Trophy
Second Qualitying Round
Chorley made the 220 mile trip to Soham for this FA Trophy 2nd Qualifying round tie. With the players travelling down the day before to help prepare the club seemed to putting out all the stops to progress in the cup, writes James Wilson.

On arriving at the ground you could tell not only the weather would have a bearing on the days game but also the pitch which appearing short and bobbly.

With a very late change due to the starting line up due to Captain Andy Teague, Mark Ross came into the centre of defence to partner Kiel O'Brien and Jamie Vermiglio was handed the captains armband.

After winning the coin toss Chorley switched ends so they could take advantage of the blustery wind conditions that the Soham keeper was going to struggle with all the 1st half.

From the start Chorley dominated there opposition with the midfield feeding James Dean and Darren Stephenson with some excellent balls unfortunately the surface was a very wet and the ball appeared to be zipping away at the vital time.

13 minutes in and Chorley were awarded a free kick just outside the box, fresh from his goal on Tuesday night Keiran Walmsley stepped up and curled his shot over the wall with the ball looking like it was going to squeeze under the crossbar somehow the Soham keeper pulled off a spectacular save to deny the defender.

Soon after the conditions would tell and a very poor clearance from the keeper fell to James Dean who played in a Josh Hine for him not only to nutmeg the defender but the keeper too to open the scoring. From here Chorley had many opportunity to press on and score more with the midfield especially Vermiglio putting in a captains performance battling hard the ball just didn't appear to sit right on the bobbly pitch at the right time.

In the last 5 minutes of the half Soham seemed to throw every player forward and press the Chorley defence and after a scramble in the 6 yard box the ball fell for Soham to equalise with what must of been there first shot on goal.

Into the second half and the strength of the wind seemed to ease from the first half and Chorley again looked to take control. Some good passing moves saw the ball make its way to Josh Hine who flashed a header against the inside of the post that went straight across goal but wouldn't sneak over the line.

It was another ball to Hine which brought the penalty, with Josh going away from goal the Soham keeper and defence bundled him over and with the linesman signalling for the foul the referee pointed to the spot. Josh picked himself up and smashed the ball into the bottom corner away from the diving keeper.

As the game went on Soham seemed to go for broke and started to cause a few problems but both the defence and midfield stood firm and resistant. Late on in the game Darren Stephenson was replaced by Simon Wiles who again after scoring in midweek looked full if confidence as he danced through the Soham defence only to be hacked down with no free kick awarded. As the 90th minutes came close the excellent Jamie Vermiglio appeared to pull up and was relocated by Brandon Zibaka.

As injury time started there was no indication into the amount of time that would be added but with no real injuries to note and only 4 substitutions you would think 2 or 3 minutes maximum. How wrong we were although Josh Hine made another fantastic run to pull the ball back for Zibaka the linesman signalled the ball had gone out of play. Into the 7th minute if injury time and finally the official blew his whistle much to the delight if the travelling support that must of been around 50 which the players duly applauded. 

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Wednesday February 28th
@ Lancashire FA Head Quarters
Partners Foundation
Challenge Trophy

Saturday March 3rd

On Our Travels

Saturday February 24th

Saturday March 10th