HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2013/14Stamford 1-1 Chorley - 05/10/2013

Stamford 1-1 Chorley - 05/10/2013

Saturday October 5th, 3pm

Chorley continued their excellent start to the season with a hard fought draw at Stamford AFC on Saturday writes Josh Vosper.

A goal from Andrew Burgess and own goal from Ryan Robbins made sure Chorley drew for the fourth time this season. A crowd of 281 watched the game with a healthy contingent of Magpie fans making the 320-mile round trip to Lincolnshire. 

The game started brightly with both teams creating numerous chances on goal. Chorley’s first chance came as Josh Hine crossed in a sailing ball but James Dean could only hit over the bar. On the 17th minute the visitors gave away a free kick and Stamford’s Andrew Burgess took advantage. He bent the shot around Sam Ashton’s four-man wall to nestle low inside the bottom left corner. Minutes later Flitcroft made an early substitution as Mark Ross replaced Keil O’Brien who tweaked his hamstring during a challenge. 

By now the Magpies were probing for openings and in the 25th minute Dean had another opportunity to score but his header went straight into the hands of Will Jones. The equaliser deservedly came in the 35th minute from a Tom Baker corner. The ball flew into the box and after touches from Dale Whitham and Andy Teague Stamford striker Ryan Robbins bundled it in at the far post for an own goal. As the first half drew to a close both teams had chances to take the lead, most notably Richard Westley’s fierce shot at the Chorley goal which was kept out by Ashton diving low to his right. 

In the second period Chorley dominated possession but couldn’t break down the tight Stamford defence who allowed the Magpies few clear shots on goal. After a wonderful run down the wing Josh Hine crossed the ball in for James Dean who could only volley straight at the keeper. By now the Magpies were pressing forward but couldn’t find an opening for that much needed winner. Another chance was presented to Dale Whitham who turned and swivelled to see his effort go inches over the bar. 

With 20 minutes to go Simon Wiles replaced Josh Hine who gave Chorley another dimension going forward. By now the visitors were increasingly forced to resort to long range efforts, with Dean being the target man. At the other end Stamford rarely tested Ashton in goal. With 10 minutes to go Jake Cottrell tried his luck but his effort went just wide of the post. Darren Stephenson, who’d had a quiet game also had an effort on goal but Stamford’s Will Jones dealt with it comfortably. Minutes later the referee blew for full-time and the shares were spoilt. Chorley, who remain joint top with AFC Fylde, will regard it as a hard point although you could argue it should have been all three. 

Starting XI: Sam Ashton, Keiran Walmsley, Adam Mather, Andy Teague, Keil O’Brien, Josh Hine, Dale Whitham, Tom Baker, James Dean, Darren Stephenson, Jake Cottrell 

Subs: Mark Ross (O’Brein, 19), Adam Roscoe, Jamie Vermiglio, Simon Wiles (Hine, 65), Alex Meaney 

Att: 281

Goals: Andrew Burgess (17), OWN GOAL (35) Man of the Match: James Dean - Worked hard all game, sometimes with no support and deserved a goal for his efforts. 


AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Saturday December 16th
Buildbase FA Trophy
1st Round

Tuesday December 26th
Boxing Day

On Our Travels

Saturday December 23rd

Monday January 1st
New Years Day