HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2013/14Chorley 5-1 Nantwich Town - 22/03/2014

Chorley 5-1 Nantwich Town - 22/03/2014

Saturday March 22nd, 3pm

The Magpies got back to winning ways and put Monday nights Cup Final disappointment well and truly behind them with a five-star victory over Nantwich Town.

Debutant Max Cartwright, signed yesterday from Fleetwood Town put in a man of the match performance and opening the scoring on 24 minutes.

Nantwich player coach Earl Davies drew the side’s level on 31 minutes but in the final minute of the first half James Dean restored the Magpies advantage.

Dean increased the lead in the 56th minute then an own goal from Davies made it four before a last minute goal from Josh Hine, returning to the side from injury, completed the rout.

Right from the off it looked like Garry Flitcroft had got his team fires up for this encounter.

Both Jamie Vermiglio and Dale Whitham both had early chances before the impressive Cartwright forced a save from Steve James in the Dabbers goal.

From a Whitham corner game the opening goal.  Andy Teague forced a save from the set piece, but Cartwright fired the rebound into the bottom corner.

The lead only lasted for seven minutes.  The unmarked Davies sliding the ball in from a corner past Sam Ashton.

Oliver Devenney forced a save from Ashton as Nantwich grew in confidence following their goal.

In the final minute of the half Chorley were awarded a controversial penalty when Jack Dorney was hacked down on the edge of the area.  The referee initially awarded a free-kick, but then changed his mind to award a spot kick, which James Dean dispatched, sending James the wrong way.

The second half started as the first ended, with Chorley on top.  

Darren Stephenson was denied by James who clawed an effort away from goal diving to his right and the follow up was headed by Whitham,  but he could only flick the outside of the post.

James, currently on load from Preston North End, acrobatically denied a curling shot from Dean, tipping over for a corner from which Chorley thought they’d netted again, but referee Dowd disallowed the goal for a shirt pull by Whitham before he headed home.

The Magpies continued to pile on the pressure, pinning Nantwich in their own area.

Two goals in two minutes sealed the victory.  

Dean was Johnny-on-the-spot, converting a Stephenson headed which had stopped on the goal line then a whipped in a free kick by Cartwright from the right hand side was diverted past his own keeper by Davies as he attempted to clear.

The referee Dowd then chalked off another Chorley goal, spotting a foul by Teague on his marker before he headed beyond James.

Josh Hine came on for Stephenson and marked his return after a two months absence with the final goal, slipped the ball between James’ legs finishing comfortably in the 89th minutes.

Chorley had other chances to add to the score, but after the recent ‘blip’, five goals were more than enough to clear the cobwebs!

Starting XI: Sam Ashton, Keiran Walmsley, Max Cartwright, Andy Teague, Keil O'Brien, Jake Cottrell, Jack Dorney, Jamie Vermiglio, James Dean, Dale Whitham, Darren Stephenson

Subs: Mark Ross (O’Brien, 81), Brandon Zibaka, Adam Roscoe (Dorney, 66), Paul Woolcott, Josh Hine (Stephenson, 68)

Att: 829

Goals: MAX WAINWRIGHT (24), Earl Davis (31), JAMES DEAN (45 Pen, 56), EARL DAVIS (58 OG), JOSH HINE (89) Man of the Match: Max Cartwright, set a high standard for himself on his debut

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Saturday December 16th
Buildbase FA Trophy
1st Round

Tuesday December 26th
Boxing Day

On Our Travels

Tuesday December 12th

Saturday December 23rd