HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2013/14Chorley 0-0 Buxton - 21/12/2013

Chorley 0-0 Buxton - 21/12/2013

Saturday December 21th, 3pm

It was a case of after the Lord Mayor's show as an obviously jaded Magpies outfit on a heavy pitch failed to breakdown a stubborn Buxton at The Chorley Group Victory Park Stadium.

Playing 210 minutes of high pressure football against full-time opponents will always have an effect on part-time players.  And to this only returning home at around 4am on Wednesday morning meant the management team had an near impossible job of getting the squad fully recovered in time for today’s bread and butter league fixture.

As it was the players still put in a shift on a very heavy surface and could have won the match with a little more luck in front of goal, having the ball cleared off the line and experience keeper Andy Warrington being in the right place at the right time to prevent an own goal!

Both sides had chances early on, Andy Teague hammering a 30 yarder just over the bar on 3 minutes then 2 minutes later Buxton striker Lee Morris headed against the crossbar with a back post header.

Things calmed down after this with the heavy surface and squally wind making it difficult for both sides.

Jake Cottrell and Paul Woolcott both failed to take chances while Morris was a threat at the other end.

James Dean forced veteran keeper Warrington in to an acrobatic save then a minute later the Chorley striker beat the keeper but not the offside trap.

The referee’s book came out as tackles started to fly with Steve Istead and Cottrell receiving yellow cards as the game stuttered toward the break.

After the interval Warrington misjudged a back pass, but the ball trickled the wrong side of the woodwork

In crazy minute during a goalmouth scramble Keil O’Brien forced a save with a header, Cottrell and Dean saw chances cleared off the line and Darren Stephenson had a shot blocked – somehow the scored remained goalless.

However despite this action the game still only simmered along in the main.

Dean and Neil Stevens had chances at either end then Mark Ross blasted over after storming into the box.

Chorley introduced Alex Meaney to add pace while Buxton’s manager tried to lift his side with the introduction of Ottis Khan.

With full time approaching Buxton’s Spencer Harris almost won the game for the Magpies, but his chested only almost crossed the line, Warrington saving well.

A third goalless game in a row for Chorley sounds worse than it is when you consider the context of the three games.

Elsewhere Skelmersdale hammered Stocksbridge (who we visit next Saturday) six-nil with a hat-trick for Dean Astbury;  Worksop remain third after sharing four goals at Frickley; AFC Fylde’s wobble continues after they lost two-nil at Kings Lynn; and FC United beat Barwell at home two-nil.  We have between two and five games in hand on all the teams in the league’s top ten.

Chorley XI: Sam Ashton, Mark Ross, Adam Mather, Andy Teague, Keil O’Brien, Dale Whitham, Josh Hine, Paul Woolcott, James Dean, Darren Stephenson, Jake Cottrell

Subs: Adam Roscoe (Cottrell, 75), Jamie Vermiglio, Alex Meaney (Stephenson, 56), Simon Wiles, Adam Mitter

Att: 748 Man of the Match: James Dean, inductrious up front on a difficult day

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Saturday December 16th
Buildbase FA Trophy
1st Round

Tuesday December 26th
Boxing Day

On Our Travels

Saturday December 23rd

Monday January 1st
New Years Day