HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2012/13Chorley 1-3 Frickley Athletic - 22/09/2012

Chorley 1-3 Frickley Athletic - 22/09/2012

Saturday September 22nd, 3pm
FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round

Chorley’s FA Cup dream ended early in somewhat controversial circumstances at Victory Park.

The game started brightly for the home side with Dale Whitham and Chris Denham (twice) both trying their luck from distance, though both fired high and wide during a spell of Magpies pressure which reduced the visitors input into the game to a series of persistent and niggling fouls, all going unpunished by the officials.

However the game was turned on his head on the half hour mark.

Frickley Athletics Jimmy Ghaichem launched himself into a dangerous tackle on Tom Ince who had to leap into the air to avoid injury.  However on landing he was adjudged to have stamped on the midfield and was given a straight red, while Ghaichem escaped without caution or injury.

With the reduction in Chorley numbers Frickley edged into the game and took the lead on 36 minutes when Gavin Allott converted from the spot following a clear hand ball in the area, this being their only attempt on goal at this stage of the game

To rub salt into a slowly opening wound, Andy Teague was withdrawn shortly after the goal due injury, being replaced by Tom Williams.

Whitham was yellow carded for a tackle that was no different to more dangerous than Ghaichem’s earlier effort, then Simon Garner added his name to referees slowly growing collection of names.

With the break fast approaching Garry Flitcroft would have no doubt been considering what to do to pull back the goal deficit, but then an outrageous penalty award was given to the visitors.

With little more than a couple of feet separating attacker and defender, the ball was hammered into the chest of Andy Russell, but someone the match officials awarded a spot kick, which Allott converted.  Russell was booked to protesting his innocence even though he had a red circular mark on his chest!

Into the second half Garry quickly through Ciaran Kilheeney and John Cunliffe replacing Denham and Garner respectively as Chorley chased a way back into the game, however on 56 minutes, just a minute after the third and final substitution, Tom Williams badly turned his ankle and from then on could hardly walk though he struggled on for a further quarter of an hour before pain overcame pride.

With Williams injury the Magpies faced effectively 34 minutes plus any injury time with just nine fit players on the pitch, and credit where it was due as they were the only side to play any football for the remainder of the game with Frickley always keeping more men behind the ball than Chorley had players on the pitch and on 59 minutes it looked like a miracle may be possible when a goal was pulled back via an own goal from a Cunliffe free-kick.

However hopes were short-lived as the numerical advantage was too great to overcome.  The visitors hit on the break in the 67th minute to force a corner from which Allott headed in a delivery from Ghaichem.

Cunliffe looks to be back to his best and ran the show for the final half hour but it wasn’t to be for the Magpies and now we turn our attention to next week’s FA Trophy match against Whitby Town.

Chorley XI: Jack Cudworth, Mark Ross, Louis Barnes, Andy Teague, Andy Russell, Simon Garner, Adam Roscoe, Dale Whitham, Chris Denham, Darren Stephenson, Tom Ince

Subs: Steve Foster, Steve Flitcroft, John Cunliffe (Garner, 54), Ciaran Kilheeney (Denham, 51), Tom Williams (Teague 38)

Att: 642

Goals: Gavin Allott (37 Pen, 45 Pen), OWN GOAL (Lee Stratford, 57), Gavin Allott (66)

Ten Men: Sending Off - Tom Ince (30)
Nine Men: Injury - Tom Williams (56) Man of the Match: John Cunliffe, only on the pitch for half a game but lets hope this is a sign of things to come.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Saturday January 27th

Saturday February 17th

On Our Travels

Saturday January 20th

Tuesday January 30th