HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2012/13Hednesford Town 3-1 Chorley - 05/01/2013

Hednesford Town 3-1 Chorley - 05/01/2013

Saturday January 5th, 3pm


Chorley suffered their twelfth league defeat of the season, but it could have been so different.

In an evenly contested first half the only separating factor between the two sides was an horrendous error by keeper Jack Cudworth that gifted Barbados International Neil Harvey an open goal.

Andy Teague had headed a corner narrowly wide and Tom Ince shot over in the early exchanges, while at the other end Hednesford saw a shot fly past the face of the goal, inches from the post and Cudworth made a smart save to deny ex-Magpies Aaron Rey.

Then the opening goal was gifted.  Following Cudworth taking a routine catch from a cross he decided to clear the ball up field off the deck rather than launch it from his hands.  However he failed to check that Harvey was lurking behind him, the striker nipped around Cudworth, grabbed the loose ball and side footed it into the empty goal!

Despite this set back the team continued to press and were otherwise unlucky to go in at the break a goal down.

After the restart Chorley looked for a way back into the game while their hosts looked to hit on the break.

Ten minutes into the second half Ince, playing at left back for the injured Tom Walker, cleared the ball up the left flank but was caught heavily by a flailing Town boot.  Unbelievably the referee deemed there to be no foul and insisted the game continue though there was no advantage to the Magpies.  Ince left the field in obvious pain and discomfort and will no doubt be missing for the next few weeks.  How this wasn’t a foul, let alone a red card incident only the referee’s report will explain!

Simon Garner replaced Ince at full back.

Shortly after Town had the ball in the net, but it was chalked off for off-side, then at the other end the quiet Chorley strike force of Darren Stephenson and Ahmadi Porya combined with the former crossing for the latter, who was inches from tapping in an equaliser.

Chorley continued to press for a goal and Andy Russell went close with a header, but from this the game was lost as Hednesford hit on the break with Rey netting.

Six minutes later following a foul on the end of the area and a melee involving most of the outfield players which resulted in Rey and Garner being yellow carded, Town netted their third.

A free-kick into the box found Harvey in acres of space and the striker had the easiest of headers to add the third.

Soon after this Garner was substituted due to suffering from double vision with Sean Breen replacing him, and this leaves manager Garry Flitcroft short of cover at left-back for the next game.

Ashley Parillon and Dale Whitham joined Garner in the referee’s book, then two minutes from time Russell netted a consolation goal, heading in from a flick on following a Mark Ross long throw.

Starting XI: Jack Cudworth, Mark Ross, Tom Ince, Keil O’Brien, Andy Russell, Dale Whitham, Ashley Parillon, Andy Teague, Ahmadi Porya, Darren Stephenson, Adam Roscoe

Subs: Steve Flitcroft, Peter Collinge, Simon Garner (Ince, 55), Sean Breen (Garner, 80), Matt Jansen

Att: 493

Goals: Neil Harvey (26), Aaron Rey, (61), Neil Harvey (67), ANDY RUSSELL (88) Man of the Match: Adam Roscoe, worked hard in a changed midfield


AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Wednesday February 28th
@ Lancashire FA Head Quarters
Partners Foundation
Challenge Trophy

Saturday March 3rd

On Our Travels

Saturday February 24th

Saturday March 10th