HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2012/13Witton Albion 1-3 Chorley - 04/09/2012

Witton Albion 1-3 Chorley - 04/09/2012

Tuesday September 4th, 7.45pm

JUST two weeks after Witton Albion inflicted a home defeat on the Magpies, Chorley gained quick revenge with an outstanding team performance at Wincham Park.

A Tom Ince penalty, two goals from loan signing Darren Stephenson and an excellent performance from Jack Cudworth saw off Albion in an exciting end to end game.

With Tom Walker and Andy Russell both missing from the defence through injury, Garry Flitcroft gave Mark Ross is first start of the season and moved Simon Garner to left back to cover.

Albion thought they’d taken an early lead when on three minutes a second cross into the box was headed beyond Cudworth’s reach, but the assistant’s flag came to the rescue for an offside.

On nine minutes the Magpies opened the scoring with a Tom Ince spot kick.  Keiran Walmsley released Chris Denham, and the striker was brought down just inside the box as he tried to turn his marker.

The Magpies were playing some excellent football on a pitch every bit as good as Victory Park.

Andy Teague had two good headed chances in opening half, both from Ince corners, both going just wide.

The second goal was an opportunistic strike from Stephenson, fired in from a tight angle after the keeper failed to hold a through ball from Denham.

At the other end Cudworth was alert throughout, backpedalling to prevent an attempted lob midway through the first half, and throughout the game he was calm, assured and a solid presence at the back, pulling off two excellent saved to keep the hosts out.

Albion pulled a goal back on the half hour mark from close range, forcing the ball over the line from a left wing cross to the delight of the home fans.

As the break approached Albion stepped up the pressure.  They had a shout for a penalty turned down flat by the officials and Cudworth pulled off a superb save from close range.

With seconds remaining the injury curse struck as Jamie Vermiglio pulled up with what appeared to be a hamstring injury; Adam Roscoe replaced him.

After the interval Albion pushed forward and Chorley concentrated on hitting on the break.

The hosts fired on wide early in the second half, and then Denham volleyed over.

Walmsley and Ince both had shots blocked, with Ince’s rolling easily to the keeper.

Ciaran Kilheeney was introduced at the expense of Steve Flitcroft, with the striker providing much needed support to Stephenson who worked tirelessly alone up front and soon after his introduction he forced Cooper in the home goal into a full stretch save.

On 65 minutes Stephenson almost bagged his second when he capitalised on a mix-up between the keeper and his full back, but his shot went agonisingly wide, but he only had to wait a further four before his second arrived.

He picked the ball up on the six yard box, dribbles across the face of the goal working his own space, before turning a firing in a rocket of a shot beyond the keeper and a defender.

Cudworth then pulled of a fantastic fingertip save with 20 minutes to go that went  along way to ensuring the win as Albion continued to probe for a way back into the match without success.

At the final whistle the 100 or so travelling supporters saluted the Magpies fine victory.

Chorley XI: Jack Cudworth, Kieran Walmsley, Simon Garner, Andy Teague, Mark Ross, Jamie Vermiglio, Dale Whitham, Steve Flitcroft, Darren Stephenson, Chris Denham, Tom Ince

Subs: Adam Roscoe (Vermiglio, 44), Ciaran Kilheeney (Flitcroft, 59), Steve Foster, John Cunliffe (Stephenson, 85), Tom Williams

Att: 464

Goals: TOM INCE (9 pen), DARREN STEPHENSON (20),Ashley Stott (29), DARREN STEPHENSON (70) Man of the Match: Jack Cudworth, a difficult choice in a good team performance, but he was outstanding when called into action

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Saturday January 27th

Saturday February 17th

On Our Travels

Saturday January 20th

Tuesday January 30th