HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2012/13Stocksbridge Park Steels 4-5 Chorley - 18/08/2012

Stocksbridge Park Steels 4-5 Chorley - 18/08/2012

Friday August 17th, 7.45pm

CHORLEY and Stocksbridge kicked off the Evo-Stik league season with a Friday night nine goal thriller.

Not many of the travelling 100 or so Magpies supporters in a crowd of 322 would have expected what was about to play out of the next hour and a half, as the normally water tight Chorley defence at times looked all over the place, gifting Stocksbridge a number of chances sides don’t normally get against us.

Steve Foster had the first chance of the match with only a couple of minutes on the clock.  He raced onto a through ball and shot from just inside the box but the ball flew harmlessly straight into the hands of ex-Magpie stopper Peter Collinge.

The opener was scored on 14 minutes when James Brooker tapped home after the ball rebounded under Andy Robertson when the keeper chased down a loose ball some Simon Garner.

The lead lasted just five minutes as Ciaran Kilheeney headed in past Collinge from a Tom Ince cross.

The equaliser came two minutes after Russell had thought he had cancelled out the opener.  Chris Denham was the first recipient of some strong tackling from the home side and from the resulting Ince free-kick Russell nodded home only to see his celebrations cut short by the assistant referee’s flag!

Parity was only in place for five minutes as another ex-Magpis, Gavin-Lee Ellison heading in from close range after Garners attempted clearances came back off the bar.

This time it took a little longer for Chorley to score, but it was the third headed goal of the half when it finally arrived.  Kilheeney turned provider with a ball in from the right wing which Adam Roscoe scored from.

With the interval approaching the hosts should have regained the lead as Garner gifted possession inside the box, but the finish was wayward to say the least.

During half time Garry no doubt laid down the law to the defence to tighten up, but whatever was said had little effect as three minutes after the restart Grant Darley put the hosts in front for the third time!  There appeared to be a foul in the build-up to a Chorley attack, but the referee ignored the appeals and on the counter Darley took advantage of some sloppy defending to slide the ball beyond Robertson.

With a little over twenty minutes to go the game looked lost as the defence played out a game of statues and allowed Michael Fish too much time in the box as he finished of a free-kick routine.

Four-two down with twenty minutes to go away from home, surely there could be only one winner?

Within second of the restart man of the match Ince reduced the arrears firing in from 20 yards.

Ince then netted the Magpies third equaliser three minutes later as he latched onto a ball over the top and lashed is beyond Collinge…  FOUR-FOUR!

As Chorley looked for a winner the Steels defence started to look more and more like the earlier Chorley backline!  Foster forced a save from Collinge, which had it gone in would have meant and assist for Robertson, whose hugh kick will result in goals for Chorley this this season.

Kilheeney then saw a header cleared off the line before the ninth and final goal was scored by Russell.

A further three minutes later and the comeback was complete as Andy Russell tapped home the winner following good link-up play around the edge of the box.

Both sides had further chances to score, but as the final whistle blow it was perhaps more relief the elation for the Chorley squad, despite trying hard to give them away we came home with the three points!

Chorley XI: Andy Robertson, Kieran Walmsley Simon Garner, Andy Teague, Andy Russell, Adam Roscoe, Chris Denham, Jamie Vermiglio, Ciaran Kilkeeney, Steve Foster, Tom Ince

Subs: Mark Ross, Matt Jansen (Kilheeney, 89), Tom Williams (Denham, 47), Steve Flitcroft (Vermiglio, 70), Proya Ahmadi

Att: 322

Goals:  James Booker (14), CIARAN KILHEENEY (19), Gavin Ellison (24), ADAM ROSCOE (33), Grant Darley (48), Michael Fish (69), TOM INCE (71)TOM INCE (74)ANDREW RUSSELL (77) Man of the Match: Tom Ince; netted twice and had a hand in almost every Chorley attack, outstanding.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Saturday January 27th

Saturday February 17th

On Our Travels

Saturday January 20th

Tuesday January 30th