HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2012/13Chorley 1-1 Ashton United - 20/04/2013

Chorley 1-1 Ashton United - 20/04/2013

Saturday April 20th, 3pm

A non-descript  one-all draw that ended with three sending’s off as tempers flared virtually ended the Magpies slim play-off hopes.

With just nine-points available, Chorley now lie five points behind Lancashire rivals AFC Fylde in the fifth place, the only play-off slot the Magpies could reach, but the Coasters have two games in hand plus Rushall Olympic are closer in the chase.

IN and opening 45 when chances were at a premium both Dale Whitham and Andy Teague both headed narrowly wide for Chorley, while at the other end Ashton’s closest chance saw a shot on the turn go wide.

After the interval Jack Curdworth blocked a close range shot in the opening minute.

Before the hour mark arrived Garry Flitcroft completed his substitutions as Jamie Vermiglio, for Porya Ahmadi, and Darren Stephenson, for Adam Roscoe, entered the action joining Tom Ince who replaced Paul Jarvis in the first half, and both second half substitutes would be heavily involved as the game progressed.

Firstly a rare mistake from Vermiglio gifted possession to Ashton and Chris Baguley curled in a beautiful 25 yarder, giving Cudworth no chance.

The Magpies then pressed for an equaliser without troubling Paul Philips in the visitors goal, but the game changed dramatically with twelve minutes to go.

Andy Russell tackled midfielder Matty Kosylo on the edge of the Magpies area cleanly, but Kosylo stayed prone on the floor as the game continued.  With the referee allowing the game to continue Chorley attacked while Ashton shouted for treatment until Tom Moore attempted to floor Vermiglio.  As ugly virtually every played joined in the handbag session, including the previously injured Kosylo, Cameron Darkwah and Kyle Harrop exchanged blows.  When the officials finally regained control Moore, Harrop and Darkwah all received their marching orders.

Immediate from the restart Chorley levelled when ex-Ashton player Tom Baker flighted a perfect free-kick that needed the faintest of touched from Darren Stephenson to deceive Philips.

With the numerical advantage Chorley pushed for a winner as news that both Fylde and Rushall were losing and in the final minute a foul on Russell was rewarded with a penalty.

The scene was set for a fantastic comeback when Tom Baker stepped up to take the kick against his former team mates, but it wasn’t to be as his penalty rebounded off the crossbar!

Starting XI: Jack Cudworth, Mark Ross, Andy Russell, Andy Teague, Keil O’Brien, Paul Jarvis, Dale Whitham, Tom Baker, Adam Roscoe, Cameron Darkwah, Porya Ahmadi

Subs: Tom Ince (Jarvis, 36), Darren Stephenson (Roscoe, 60), Jamie Vermiglio (Ahmadi, 59), Tom Walker, Adam Caunce

Att: 563

Goals: Chris Baguley (64), DARREN STEPHENSON (80)

Sending-Offs: Kyle Harrop, Tom Moore & CAMERON DARKWAH (all 78 minutes) Man of the Match: Andy Teague, a proper captain’s performance

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Wednesday February 28th
@ Lancashire FA Head Quarters
Partners Foundation
Challenge Trophy

Saturday March 3rd

On Our Travels

Saturday February 24th

Saturday March 10th