HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2012/13Chorley 0-1 North Ferriby United - 17/11/2012

Chorley 0-1 North Ferriby United - 17/11/2012

Saturday November 17th, 3pm

CHORLEY’s winless run extended to five games, but losing what looked like a hard earned point against the league leaders in the final minute was a bitter pill to swallow.

The Magpies more than matched their Humberside rivals in the first half and were unlucky not to be in front having had the better of the opening period.  Then as half time approached the turning point in the game occurred as North Ferriby midfielder Steve Ridley was dismissed for a second bookable offence.

However it wasn’t the signal for Chorley to take absolute control of the match.  Instead a half time reshuffle by United manager Billy Heath made the visitors harder to break down, whilst relying on pacey counter attacks when going forward, and tactic paid off in the final minute when Liam King smashed in the winner.

Following a cagey opening to the game Chorley started to take control after quarter of an hour and almost took the lead when John Cunliffe got onto the end of an Adam Roscoe flick on, but his shot aimed at the far corner was diverted to safety by the outstretched boot of Ferriby keeper Adam Nicklin.

Kirk Millar got onto the end of a cross from follow Oldham loanee Dave Mellor, but the header went narrowly over.

Ferriby’s first effort of the half was a shot across the face of goal, but Jack Cudworth pushed it wide at full stretch.

Following a flowing move involving Tom Ince, Mellor and Cunliffe, Ince saw a shot turned around the post then from the resulting corner Dale Whitham, who collected first caution of the game early one, headed over.

Millar, who was a constant threat throughout the first half was hacked down by Ridley for his first yellow, and then Chris Bolder joined him in the book for failing to retreat on a free-kick.

Whitham screwed a shot wide, and then Cunliffe had the ball punched off the top of his head by Nicklin as Chorley looked for an opener.

Roscoe, many supporters (including me) man of the match chested down a cross but saw his volley blocked in the six-yard box, then from the rebound Mellor saw his effort also blocked.

Ferriby then hit on the break.  A striker Anthony Wilson ran forward he lost control and Cudworth raced out to clear but as he attempted to launch the ball to safety it appeared to hit the arm of Wilson.  With no whistle or flag, much to the annoyance of Cudworth, Ferriby played on and almost netted but the ball was cleared.

In the dying seconds of the half Ridley pulled back Millar on the flank and in a position where there was little threat - a needless indiscretion.  Given that he was already on a caution the referee little option that to dismiss the player.

Immediately Heath reacted and had a player ready to come on, but the half ended before the ball went out of play.

At the restart Ferriby had reshuffled and obviously discussed their position and to a man thought for each and every loose ball, giving the Magpies little time on the ball.  As a result North Ferriby were harder to break down in the second half than in the first and from this second half performance you can see that they are not top of the league by fluke!

Cudworth made the first save of the second period, then the Magpies first effort was a blocked shot from Whitham.

Millar was yellow carded for a clumsy wingers tackle from behind just before Ciaran Kilheeney was introduced at Cunliffe’s expense.

Steve Flitcroft put in the tack of the game on the edge of his own area.  It was one of those that had to be timed to perfection or it could end up a red card and maybe a penalty, but the ball was won and a Ferriby attack was stopped in its tracks.

Porya Ahmadi replaced Millar, with Roscoe switching to the wing.

Chorley continued to toil for a winner, but couldn’t break down the yellows who had to be sped up  a couple of times as they played the clock down looking for a point.

But it wasn’t going to be just a point they took back down the M62.  In the 90th minute a free-kick was curled into the box, Cudworth spilled the wet ball into the path of King who fired home from 12 yards; daylight (or floodlight) robbery?

Injury time was added and Kilheeney had a chance to regain the point, but his attempted header from an Ince cross went wide, and Ferriby then celebrated at the final whistle what was for them a massive three points.

Chorley XI: Jack Cudworth, Kieran Walmsley, Dave Mellor, Chris Blackburn, Andy Russell, Dale Whitham, Kirk Millar, Steve Flitcroft, Adam Roscoe, John Cunliffe, Tom Ince

Subs: Ciaran Kilheeney (Cunliffe, 63), Chris Denham, Porya Ahmadi (Millar, 77), Ashley Parillon, Tom Walker

Att: 620

Goal: Liam King (90) Man of the Match: Adam Roscoe; won almost everything in the air and his touch and passing was just as effective whether he was centre forward of wide right.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Wednesday February 28th
@ Lancashire FA Head Quarters
Partners Foundation
Challenge Trophy

Saturday March 3rd

On Our Travels

Saturday February 24th

Saturday March 10th