HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2012/13Blackpool 1-2 Chorley 26/07/2012

Blackpool 1-2 Chorley 26/07/2012

Thursday July 26th, 7pm
Blackpool FC's 125th Anniversary Celebration

THE Magpies maintained their unbeaten pre-season form and gained a somewhat delayed revenge over Blackpool FC, 125 years to the day since they beat Chorley 2-1 at Dole Lane in their first ever fixture.

Tonight’s fixture was of course to mark the occasion of the Seasiders first ever game and credit to the hosts for inviting us to Bloomfield Road and it took to Ahmadi Proya goals and a Russell Saunders penalty save to turn defeat into victory.

In front of 1,410 spectators the two sides put on a football spectacle, with open attacking football on a bowling green of a pitch. The host’s line-up was made up of reserve and youth team players, with several having gained first team experience over the last couple of seasons, however without the aid of a team sheet or programme it was difficult to know who was who in their ranks!

Chorley where physically stronger throughout and controlled much of the possession, but Blackpool’s full time training showed with good technique and they were quick on the break.

Adam Roscoe headed over the first chance of the game following a Tom Ince (the Chorley player, the Blackpool version wasn’t in action) corner.

Gerardo Bruna, formerly of both Real Madrid and Liverpool, looked a threat throughout for Blackpool and early on went on a sprint through the defence but his shot went high.

Ince crossed again, and this time it was captain Andy Teague on the end, but his header failed to trouble the keeper.

Andy Robertson made a fine block when facing a Blackpool attacker in a one-on-one, then Andy Russell was on top form with a superb blocking tackle when we were hit on the break.

With the half hour mark approaching Blackpool were gifted a penalty when summer signing Kieran Walmsley misjudged a defensive header and left Robertson exposed. The keeper had little option over than to give away a penalty which Bruna dispatched.

Steve Foster almost equalised just before the break but his volley went inches wide.

There were no changes for the Magpies at the restart, but just four minutes into the half Russell Saunders, Mark Ross, Tom Williams, Ashley Parillon and Matt Walwyn were all introduced, with Ahmadi Proya joining the action soon after.

Williams had a volley blocked as Chorley started the second half the stronger, but at the other end Blackpool had the chance to double their lead when the referee awarded a penalty for artistic excellence following a dive Tom Daley would have been proud of, however Saunders saved the spot-kick to keep the Magpies in the game.

On 62 minutes Chorley levelled when Proya finished off a team move with Williams supplying the final ball, then ten minutes later the same to players combined, this time Williams crossing from the right and Proya’s deft header finding the bottom corner.

Blackpool made a raft of changes throughout the second half and in the final stages of the game the fresh legs and extra pace give them the edge going forward, but the Magpies backline defended as resolutely as ever to keep them out to the end.

So, 125 years after the first game ended in a 2-1 win for Blackpool, Chorley recorded a 2-1 success tonight. 3-3 on aggregate, the replay is scheduled for July 26th 2137!

Chorley XI: Andy Robertson, Kieran Walmsley, Simon Garner, Andy Teague, Andy Russell, Adam Roscoe, Chris Denham, Jamie Vermiglio, Ciaran Kilheeney, Steve Foster, Tom Ince

Subs: Russell Saunders (Robertson), Mark Ross (Teague), Tom Williams (Denham), Ashley Parillon (Vermiglio), Matt Walwyn (Foster), Ahmadi Proya (Kilheeney)

Att: 1,410

Goals: Gerardo Bruna (28) AHMADI PROYA (62, 72)

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Saturday January 27th

Saturday February 17th

On Our Travels

Tuesday January 30th

Friday February 9th