HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2011/12Worksop Town 1-5 Chorley - 17/03/2012

Worksop Town 1-5 Chorley - 17/03/2012

Saturday March 17th, 3pm

Chorley climbed two places to third following this convincing victory over mid-table Worksop Town.

All eyes were on new signing Ciaran Kilheeney, who netted twice, but Matt Walwyn took the match ball home after netting a hat-trick.

The ex-Droylsden striker, making he debut in a three pronged attack alongside Steve Foster and Chris Denham, lived up to his nickname with a piece of ‘killer’ finishing to put the Magpies in front on ten minutes.


The new man cut in from the left and turned his fullback inside out before firing into the top of the net.
However the lead only lasted 60 seconds as Owain Warlow capitalised on some lax defending to level the score.

An early blow was dealt to manager Garry Flitcroft’s plans for the game when Denham was withdrawn with a slight injury after just 23 minutes, with Walwyn coming off the bench in his place.

It wasn’t plain sailing throughout the first half as Worksop’s dogged endeavour saw them edge possession in the first half, and an Andy Russell miscue presented The Tigers with the chance to take the lead, but Russell Saunders was on form in goal.

The score remained level until just before the break when Kilheeney flicked the ball through to Walwyn who picked the ball up on the edge of the area, took on two defenders before driving the ball home from 12 yards.

After the interval Chorley took control of the game, the players no doubt with their ears ringing following their half time regrouping in the dressing room.

John Cunliffe, an unexpected name on the substitute’s bench as many believed his injury ravaged season was over replaced the out of sorts Foster on 58 minutes.

The Magpies were well on top and looked the only likely winners, and this position was strengthened when the assistant referee spotted an off the ball incident on 62 minutes which resulted in Town’s Ash Burbeary receiving a straight red.

It took Chorley just six minutes to make the numerical advantage count as Walwyn burst through and another smart finish put the Magpies three-one up.

Another new signing, Ashley Parillon then replaced Jamie Vermiglio with a little under ten minutes to go and his first touch was a perfect pass to Kilheeney who again showed his clinical ability in front of goal.

With both Kilheeney and Walwyn on a brace, was there time for one to complete a hat-trick? Yes!
Walwyn was the player and his third and Chorley’s fifth was perhaps the best goal of the game has he rifled in from the edge of the area on 87 minutes to complete a fantastic week for the club.

Starting XI: Russell Saunders, Mark Ross, Adam Roscoe, Andy Teague, Andy Russell, Jamie Vermiglio, Tom Williams, Ciaran Kilheeney, Chris Denham, Steve Foster, Tom Ince

Subs: Wayne Maden, Ally Brown, Matt Walwyn (Denham, 23), Ashley Parillon (Vermiglio, 82), John Cunliffe (Foster, 58)

Att: 340

Goals: CIARAN KILHEENEY (10), Owain Warlow (11), MATT WALWYN (44, 67), CIARAN KILHEENEY (83), MATT WALWYN (87) Man of the Match: Shared between the two scores today, Ciaran Kilheeney & Matt Walwyn.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Wednesday February 28th
@ Lancashire FA Head Quarters
Partners Foundation
Challenge Trophy

Saturday March 3rd

On Our Travels

Saturday February 24th

Saturday March 10th