HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2011/12Chorley 2-3 FC United - 10/01/2012

Chorley 2-3 FC United - 10/01/2012

Tuesday January 10th, 7.45pm
Doodson Sport Cup 4th Round

CHORLEY bowed out of the Doodson Sport Cup at the fourth round stage for the second season running following an enthralling game with FC United of Manchester.

Garry Flitcroft took the decision to rotate his small squad around with Dean Porter, Andy Russell, Jordan Bowen and Ahmadi Proya all coming into the starting line-up and early indications were the changes didn’t affect the team performance.

Lively winger Carlos Roca was a thorn in the Magpies side all night and his first cross was almost turned in by former Altrincham striker Astley Mullholland.

Magpies skipper Andy Teague, playing in central midfield alongside Adam Roscoe, played a peach of a ball diagonally across the pitch to winger Tom Ince, but the sting was taken out of his shot and the ball rolled harmlessly to James Spencer in the visitor’s goal.

On 19 minutes the deadlock was broken when Roca crossed for Mike Norton, who touched the ball home beyond Porter from close range.

Adam Roscoe fired a shot over from 25 yards following a crisp passing move, but minutes later the lead was doubled.

Matthew Wolfenden swung the ball in from the right flank, but in his attempt to block the cross Wayne Maden could only divert the ball into the bottom corner.

Following a half-time hairdryer from Flitcroft, the Magpies came out fired up for the second half. Chris Denham replaced the quiet Steve Foster shortly after the restart and his pace and running gave the Magpies a different option up front.

Jordan Bowen, who had an impressive game on the right wing set up Ahmadi Proya on 51 minutes, but the Iranian shot over. Proya then turned provide for Denham, but the shot went narrowly wide.
Russell and Roscoe then had headers saved and blocked from consecutive corners.

The Magpies clawed a goal back on 59 minutes when a perfect Bowen centre was headed home by Russell from 18 yards, leaving Spencer no chance.

With their tails up, Chorley chased an equaliser and Matt Jansen made a rare appearance.
Jansen and Teague were both unlucky following a free kick with both their shots charged down.
A rush of blood from rookie keeper Porter almost cost Chorley dear with a little over quarter of an hour remaining when he rushed out to challenge for a header, the having missed the ball tried again. The keeper again failed to make a clean contact with the ball and ended up having Maden and Ally Brown to thank for denying FC.

Two minutes later FC had a penalty when Porter, still not recovered from his previous misjudgement brought down FC striker Norton and Dean Stott converted the resulting spot kick.

The two goal cushion on lasted for two minutes as Maden made amends for his OG, rifled home from 12 yards are second attempt. Brown put a free-kick into the box to Jansen who headed down to Teague, but he miscued before Maden fired home.

Despite pressure from the home side, and five minutes of added time for blatant time wasting by the visitors, Chorley couldn’t find an equaliser and it is FC who progress to the quarter-finals.
Get your copy of the match programme here

Starting XI: Dean Porter, Mark Ross, Ally Brown, Andy Teague, Wayne Maden, Andy Russell, Jordan Bowen, Adam Roscoe, Ahmadi Proya, Steve Foster, Tom Ince

Subs: Chris Denham (Foster, 49), Jamie Vermiglio, David Taylor, Matt Jansen (Proya, 61), Russell Saunders

Att: 830

Goals: Michael Norton (19), Wayne Maden (31 OG), ANDREW RUSSELL (61), Dean Stott (79 PEN), WAYNE MADEN (83) Man of the Match: Jordan Bowen; lively throughout, showed good control and had an eye for a pass

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Saturday January 27th

Saturday February 17th

On Our Travels

Saturday January 20th

Tuesday January 30th