HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2011/12Rushall Olympic 1-0 Chorley - 05/11/11

Rushall Olympic 1-0 Chorley - 05/11/11

Saturday November 5th, 3pm

Following yesterday's game at Rushall Olympic we have three match reports for you to digest...
From Richard Scott, Shaun Baldwin and Ian Livesey.

Shaun Baldwin

Chorley were left to rue a series of missed chances and returned empty handed from the Midlands, following a narrow defeat to a Rushall team which desperately needed the points after an indifferent run of results.

As at Mickleover last week, Chorley struggled to get going in the first half, and trailed at the break to a well taken goal from Rushall’s danger man, Ahmed Obeng. Midway through the half, a deep cross into the

Chorley penalty area fell invitingly for Obeng, who gave Russell Saunders no chance from ten yards out.
The Magpies barely threatened in the opening period, although the most likely avenue seemed to come down the left, where good work from Tom Ince and Tom Walker resulted in a number of crosses into the penalty box, none of which brought any reward.

As the half drifted to a close, a crunching Jamie Vermiglio tackle near the halfway line provoked an unnecessary over-reaction from Rushall’s Richard Blythe, and the ensuing brawl gave the crowd some fireworks to watch after a mostly lethargic 45 minutes. Both players found themselves in the book for their efforts, along with Steve Foster for his intervention in the dispute.

After the break, Chorley came to life and bombarded the Rushall goal to such an extent that they will still be wondering how they did not find the net. The introduction of Chris Denham on 50 minutes galvanised the Magpies’ attack, and the former Altrincham man was instrumental in much of what followed.

A series of chances came and went, with Foster looking dangerous and Andy Teague desperately unlucky not to score with a powerful strike from just inside the box. Adam Roscoe and Andy Russell also failed to convert chances, while Rushall’s solitary opportunity in the second period fell inevitably to Obeng, who broke away down the right and brought a fingertip save from Saunders. Thankfully for Chorley, the keeper appears to have regained his confidence after last week’s uncertainties at Mickleover.

Dale Whitham and Ali Brown replaced the subdued Matt Walwyn and the tiring Tom Walker respectively, but there was no let up in the direction of traffic. In a desperate finale, Roscoe, Foster and Ince all went close, and in stoppage time, Russell’s header came back agonisingly off the woodwork, while Vermiglio’s powerful surge into the penalty area required a last gasp block when he seemed certain to score.

The game ended on a sour note for Whitham, who was dismissed after picking up two cautions in quick succession, and now faces another suspension, which the team can ill afford.
So, no lack of effort from Chorley, who were backed by a large and vocal away support, but the Magpies paid the price for an insipid first half display. Fans and team alike will be hoping for better luck next time they visit these parts, in a fortnight, when they face Hednesford Town, who lie four points behind the Magpies, having played four games fewer.

Ian Livesey

“It really was just one of those games”, is what Garry Flitcroft would’ve said to his team after a 1-0 defeat at the hands of tenth-placed Rushall Olympic. But what he would be feeling is disappointment as Chorley could not find a way past the ‘Pics’ defence. 

The game started pretty even on the sloping pitch as both teams tried to find their feet. Rushall had a few testing shorts which Russ Saunders and the back line dealt with comfortably, meanwhile Tom Ince and

Matt Jansen tested Gemmell in the Rushall goal.

With a quarter of an hour gone, there was much amusement as the referee halted play for a couple of minutes after he found a dog-doing nearby the centre circle. It was left to Dean Porter to scoop up the offending item so play could continue.

Rushall then scored what proved to be the winner when Tom Walker kept in a cross near the byline, only for Ahmed Obeng to race onto the mis-controlled ball and smash it past Saunders.

Both Matt Walwyn and Steve Foster had a chance to equalise but Walwyn couldn’t get any power on his header from a cross and Foster headed just wide from an Ince high ball into the box.

During the second half, Chorley laid siege to the Rushall goal and were frightfully wasteful with their chances. Even the introduction of Chris Denham for Matt Jansen didn’t provide any relief.

Steve Foster came close to getting the equaliser when a from a through ball, he saw his shot saved low by Gemmell. Foster then put a low cross across goal but it eluded everyone. A minute later, Adam Roscoe saw his header cleared off the line by Tolley Vermigio then had his effort cleared after rounding Melbourne. Into added on time, Andy Russell saw his header cannon back off the corner of the goal and out to safety. Four minutes into the ninety and Dale Whitham saw a second yellow card after coming on as a 2nd half sub as Chorley were reduced to ten-men, but Rushall held out for a momentous win to climb two places to 8th. Chorley meanwhile remain in 3rd.

Richard Scott

It wasn’t a day to remember for Chorley fc as the magpies were beaten 1-0 on their first trip to Dales Lane, home of Rushall Olympic FC.

Garry kept the same starting 11 that won the thrilling 4-3 contest at Mickleover hoping that the lads would be able to reproduce the second half performance which saw them steal the points in Derbyshire.

Both teams had a pretty even start on the sloping pitch as both teams failed to find there way into the game. The magpies had a couple of chances through Matt Jansen but they were pretty routine saves for the Rushall stop stopper.

Then one of the strangest things in football then happened on 15 minutes when as Rushall were awarded a throw in, well inside the Chorley half the referee suddenly stopped play much to the bewilderment of the 257 fans present before it was revealed to be some Dog Muck was left on the pitch and it was left to back up keeper Dean Porter to be the hero of the moment as he removed the offending item and allow the match to continue.

Rushall went ahead on 24 minutes when a cross seemed to of caused no trouble for the magpies and it fell to Tom Walker who slipped as he was clearing the ball, with it falling to Rushall hotshot Ahmed Obeng, who smashed the ball past Ross Saunders.

Obeng had a chance to double his tally but his volley flew wide of Saunders’s goal.

Tempers frayed on 44 minutes as an altercation between the Rushall number 11 and Jamie Vermgilio resulted in handbags before the pair was booked along with Steve Foster, who was trying to act as peacemaker.

The final chance of the half fell to the magpies when a corner from the left half hand side was sent towards the edge of the area to Matt Waylwn but his spectacular volley flew over the crossbar.

The second half saw the magpies completely lay siege to the Rushall goal but the back four stood firm.
First Steve Foster saw his shot saved by the Rushall number 1, before captain Andy Teague saw his shot flash wide.

Rushall only attempt to note of the second half was when Obeng had a shot tipped over by Russ Saunders.

With twelve minutes to go the magpies weren’t giving up the fight as Adam Roscoe’s header was booted off the line before Tom Ince saw his shot fly over the crossbar.

The best chance of the game for the magpies came on 90 minutes when Andy Russell rose like a salmon and headed towards the goal but his header crashed off the crossbar and bounced away to safety.

The final chance came when Jamie Vermgilio, who had a fine game in the midfield being involved in a number of the chances, had a pop at goal himself but his shot went just wide of the goal.

The magpies were reduced to 10 men on 94 minutes when Dale Whitham, a second half sub was sent off for dissent.

The result leaves the magpies third while Rushall move up to 8th after today’s games. The magpies are in action again on Tuesday as they visit Moor Lane, the home of Salford City for the 3rd round of the Doodson cup.

Starting XI: Russ Suanders, Mark Ross, Tom Walker, Andy Teague (capt), Andy Russell, Matt Walwyn, Adam Roscoe, Jamie Vermgilio, Matt Jansen, Steve Foster and Tom Ince

Subs: Chris Denham (Jansen 50), Dale Whitham (Walwyn 61), Wayne Maden, Simon Whaley and Ali Brown (Walker 74)

Att: 257

Goal: Ahmed Obeng (23)

Man of the match: Jamie Vermgilio, was the creator in every attack and should have scored

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Wednesday February 28th
@ Lancashire FA Head Quarters
Partners Foundation
Challenge Trophy

Saturday March 3rd

On Our Travels

Saturday February 24th

Saturday March 10th