HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2011/12Chester 3-0 Chorley - 28/09/2011

Chester 3-0 Chorley - 28/09/2011

Wednesday September 28th, 7.45pm

Chester overpowered the Magpies in front of a pack Exacta Stadium to move above Chorley in the league.

Following an evenly contested first forty-five minutes the hosts came out firing in the second period and from the moment Alex Brown struck in the 53rd minute with a rasping drive from 30 yards it was always going to be an uphill challenge to get back into the game for the visitors.

Before the interval things were even with neither side managing to break the opposition defence down. The clearest opportunity came Chester’s way on the half hour mark. Simon Whaley, who limped off just before the break, lost position in midfield and Chester’s resulting attack saw Ian Howard go clear through on goal but he unbelievably skied the ball over when it would have been far easier to score!

Adam Roscoe had the best chance for the Magpies, but his shot from the edge of the box was deflected wide.

After the interval Chester were charged up playing toward their supporters in the Harry McNally terrace and Tom Walker had to be on hand early on to clear their first attack of the half.

After the opener from Brown Chester’s Michael Powell was finally booked for taking persistently fouling to the extreme!

The match was realistically ended as a contest when Matty McNeil got in between Russell Saunders and Andy Teague to head over the keeper from just outside the area.

At two-nil down and with a number of Chorley players short on match fitness, the uphill challenge became a mountain to climb.

Shelton Payne and Chris Denham joined the action just after the second goal, but this move failed to turn the tide.

Roscoe saw a free-kick join Howards earlier effort in the car park and Denham rounded the keeper to fire wide, while at the other end Saunders pulled off a customary spectacular save to keep the scores as there were while at the other end Chester keeper John Danby was able extend his run without conceding a goal to 636 minutes, stretching back six games.

The third and final goal saw Wesley Baynes net from the edge of the area following a mistake for thetiring Jamie Vermiglio.

The Magpies have an ideal opportunity to immediately put this set back behind them this Saturday, when a win over Burscough will return Chorley back to the top of the league.

Starting XI: Russell Saunders, Ali Brown, Tom Walker, Andy Teague, Andy Russell, Dale Whitham, Adam Roscoe, Jamie Vermiglio, Simon Whaley, Tom Williams & Tom Ince

Subs: Lee McEvilly, Wayne Maden, Chris Denham (Whaley, 44), John Cunliffe (Williams, 61) Shelton Payne (Ince, 61)

Att: 3,310

Goals: Alex Brown (53), Matthew McNeil (61), Wesley Baynes (84) Man of the Match: Dale Whitham, worked tirelessly for the team

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Wednesday February 28th
@ Lancashire FA Head Quarters
Partners Foundation
Challenge Trophy

Saturday March 3rd

On Our Travels

Saturday February 24th

Saturday March 10th