HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2010/11Bamber Bridge 1-1 Chorley 25/04/11

Bamber Bridge 1-1 Chorley 25/04/11

Monday April 25th

The Easter Monday local derby clash with Bamber Bridge ended all square, with the Magpies edging closer to securing home advantage in the play-off semi-final, which will be against Curzon Ashton.

Following Fylde’s defeat at home to Chester, who barring a minor miracle in Skelmersdale’s favour on the final day of the season will be crowned champions, and Curzon beating Tameside neighbours Mossley, we will now meet the Manchester club for a fourth time this season and be aiming to make notch up our fourth victory over them.

The hosts had the better of the early exchanges as Chorley struggled to get going with Stephen Green firing an early warning shot across the face of Howarth’s goal.

Garry Flitcroft then had to content with the reoccurring issue that had hindered our season as Mark Houghton was withdrawn after quarter of an hour after pulling up with a hamstring injury.  Adam Roscoe took his place from the bench.

On twenty-one minutes Brig took the lead when the Brig attack strolled through the midfield and defence and Green, recently promoted from the Irongate reserve side where he’s netted 33 goals this season, finished comfortably.

This set back finally woke the Magpies as a Steve Foster strike across the goal was inches beyond Tom Ince’s reach.

Then Ince struck a 40-yarder that Ben Hinchcliffe tipped round the post; from the resulting corner Andy Russell smashed the ball into the side netting when it looked easier to score; Nathan Fairhurst shot narrowly over the bar; Roscoe was unlucky to see a towering header come back off the woodwork; Jack Dorney went on a mazy dribble through the defence, but his cross was missed by Foster, Russell and Dale Whitham; and finally Foster shot wide. 

How the Magpies went in a goal down at half was difficult to understand!

The second half started as the first ended as Foster curled one over the bar, but then on fifty-one minutes the ace marksman struck his seventh goal in black & white.  He received a ball over the defence and raced toward goal, turned Brig captain Michael White inside out before curling a peach of a ball round the keeper into the far corner.

Ince and Roscoe had half chances to score later on, and substituted Matt Jansen was a constant worry to the home defence without finding the netting.  Dale Whitham went closest to winning the game, but pulled his shot just beyond the far post.  At the other end Howarth was alert without being stretched and defence was solid when called into action.

So six games unbeaten and we now know we face Curzon Ashton in the play-offs, venue to be decided on Friday.

Starting XI: Chris Howarth, Lee Woodyatt, Tom Walker, Mark Ross, Andy Russell, Nathan Fairhurst, Jack Dorney, Dale Whitham, Mark Houghton, Steve Foster, Tom Ince

Subs: Matt Jansen (Dorney, 76), Adam Roscoe (Houghton, 16), Shelton Payne (Whitham, 80), Jordan Stepien, Jamie Vermiglio

Att: 458

Goals: Stephen Green (21), STEVE FOSTER (51) Man of the Match: Steve Foster, not only did he score, but he defended from the front throughout.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Saturday January 27th

Saturday February 3rd

On Our Travels

Saturday January 20th

Friday February 9th