HomeSTATSMatch ReportsSeason 2010/11Skelmersdale United 1-1 Chorley 15/02/11

Skelmersdale United 1-1 Chorley 15/02/11

Tuesday February 15th

The Magpies came away from Stormy Corner with a hard earned late won point.

On an open and entertaining game, both sides played football and any neutral spectator would have left the ground no doubt happy with the nights entertainment. But with both sides pushing for promotion neither team would have been happy with a point at the kick-off, yet after 90 minutes of football no doubt Garry Flitcroft and his team were the slightly happier of the two.

Chorley just edged the first forty-five minutes and had two half chances in the opening two minutes; a Adam Roscoe header which was saved, then John Cunliffe sprinted into the box before shooting wide.

Skem then when close before Cunliffe fired in a shot from 20 yards, which the home keeper Tom Brocklehurst tipped over.

Lloyd Rigby had perhaps his busiest night in a Chorley shirt since signing and was in excellent form whenever he was called into action and made his first save of the night on 16 minutes, showing superb reflexes to save smartly at the near post and also to hold onto the slippery ball in the constant first half rain.

Leading goalscoer Dale Whitham was less than in inch away from flicking the ball beyond Brocklehurst, but couldn’t quite make contact with Tom Ince’s cross.

Cunliffe shot narrowly wide after bamboozling the defence with quick footwork, then Andrew Teague headed an Ince corner wide.

Rigby was called into action again twice and came out on top on both occasions.

Ince was unlucky when chasing a Cunliffe through ball, but the Brocklehurst just won the 1-on-1 as Ince chipped wide.

The final chance of the half fell to Skem, but Rugby wasn’t troubled.

The second half kicked off with Tom Walker returning to action against his old side, replacing Jerome Fitzgerald, and soon after Lee Woodyatt replaced an injured Andy Russell, so only Teague in defence played the full 90 minutes in the same position as Ross witched to central defence following Russell’s withdrawl.

The visitors edged the first half so the hosts replied in the second.

Teague made an excellent blocking tackle inside the box, the at the other end Cunliffe forced Brocklehurst into a save, the keeper gathering at the second attempt.

Roscoe when close when played in by Cunliffe, then seconds later Roscoe was unlucky when he failed to make a clean contact onto a Teague long ball forward.

Teague, with a goal in each game so far for the Magpies since signing from Lancaster, went close with a header.

Rigby then stepped up to the plate and made a string of excellent saves and great clearances when sweeping behind the defence as Skem upped a gear looking for a winner.

Ten minutes from time however the hosts stuck from a corner which came following the save of the night by Rigby. A deep ball into the box was tucked home by Adlington based striker Chris Almond, and the points looked to be staying at Stormy Corner.

However the Magpies don’t give up and in the final minute Teague made with three in three when he headed home in superbly delivered Ince corner.

Starting XI: Lloyd Rigby, Mark Ross, Jerome Fitzgerald, Andrew Teague, Andy Russell, Nathan Fairhurst, Dale Whitham, Steve Flitcroft, Adam Roscoe, John Cunliffe, Tom Ince

Subs: Mark Houghton, Lee Woodyatt (Russell, 51), Tom Walker (Fitzgerald, 45), Jordan Stepien (Fairhurst, 71), Lee Shillito

Att: 321

Goals: Chris Almond (80), ANDREW TEAGUE (90) Man of the Match: Lloyd Rigby, pulled off a string of excellent saves

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Wednesday February 28th
@ Lancashire FA Head Quarters
Partners Foundation
Challenge Trophy

Saturday March 3rd

On Our Travels

Saturday February 24th

Saturday March 10th