HomeNewsClub NewsMATCH REPORT | Gainsborough Trinity 1-0 Chorley

MATCH REPORT | Gainsborough Trinity 1-0 Chorley

Team news

Only one change for the Magpies, as Marcus Carver returned from suspension, replacing Delial Brewster who dropped to the bench.

The home side were unchanged.


On a chilly night in Lincolnshire, it was a case of not being able to find the back again - despite creating numerous chances - in a 1-0 defeat to Gainsborough Trinity.


First half

On seven minutes, some great play down the right from Matty Hughes made space for a cross. The ball in found Marcus Carver, but his effort was deflected and ultimately easily saved by Gainsborough’s goalkeeper, Henrich Ravas.

A good chance for the home side fell on 17 minutes. A ball forward by Gainsborough’s number 7 Jordan Richards found Ashley Worsfold who beat the offside trap. His effort from the corner of the six-yard-box, however, went wide of the far post.

Right on the half hour mark, the best chance fell for the Magpies. Some good buildup play on the edge of the Gainsborough penalty area led to Blakeman finding space and unleashing a shot, but it went just wide of the far post.

Blakeman then hit the post from distance five minutes later, with the rebound falling to Jason Walker, but the striker missed an open, gaping goal from five yards out, hitting the side netting. Fortunately, the linesman on the near side flagged for offside and saved Walker’s blushes.


Second half

Gainsborough came out of the traps in the second half with intent and scored just 50 seconds after the restart. 

A cross on the right hand side found the impressive Craig King, who controlled the ball, and fired it under the advancing Matt Urwin to give the home side the lead.

At the other end, a miraculous save by Ravas in the Trinity goal denied Josh O’Keefe moments later after some fantastic work by Marcus Carver down the right. He found a ball to O’Keefe who was totally unmarked, but his shot from eight yards out was tipped behind.

Chorley sub Khius Metz then had his shot saved by Ravas moments later.


Despite numerous efforts on the home side’s goal, throughout the second half in particular, the Magpies weren’t able to breach Ravas’ goal and go back home empty handed.




Match stats

Gainsborough (4-4-2): Ravas; Vann, Jacklin, Beatson, Davie; Richards, L.King, Clarke (off 62 mins), C.King; Jarman © (off 56 mins), Worsfold (off 71 mins). 

Subs: Wells (on 71 mins), Simmons (on 56 mins), Russell (on 62 mins)

Not used: Stainfield, Bateson


Chorley (5-3-2): Urwin; Hughes, Leather, Teague (c), Jordan, Blakeman (off 60 mins); Cottrell; O’Keefe, Wilson; Walker (off 85 mins), Carver.

Subs: Metz (on 60 mins), Roscoe (on 85 mins)

Not used: Anson, Brewster, Whitham


HT 0-0 /FT 0-0


Goal scorers: Craig King on 46 mins


Attendance: 386


Referee: James Oldham


Assistants: Martin Beard, Paul Buck


Next Up

Due to Spennymoor’s run to the third round of the FA Trophy the Magpies next game isn’t until a week on Friday (09/02/18), when they travel to FC United of Manchester, kick off 7.45pm.


AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Wednesday February 28th
@ Lancashire FA Head Quarters
Partners Foundation
Challenge Trophy

Saturday March 3rd

On Our Travels

Saturday February 24th

Saturday March 10th