HomeNewsClub NewsStatsMatch Reports 2017/18MATCH REPORT | Magpies lose to Marine

MATCH REPORT | Magpies lose to Marine

The Magpies run in this season’s Buildbase FA Trophy came to an end at the hands of Marine, as Tommy Lawson’s side came from behind to win 3-1 at The Chorley Group Victory Park Stadium.

Matty Hughes had given the hosts an early lead, but a goal from Adam Hughes and an own goal from Josh O’Keefe, coupled with a stoppage time strike from Danny Mitchley, saw the Evo-Stik Premier Division team through to round two.

Matt Jansen named an unchanged team from Chorley’s last league outing against Leamington. The visitors made one change to the side that beat Stafford Rangers 4-1 two weeks ago, with Phil Baker replacing Peter Wylie in the back four.

The home side made a flying start with a goal inside two minutes. A first meaningful possession ended with Hughes slamming home a volley from close range after an excellent headed centre by Marcus Carver.

Hughes almost grabbed his second within five minutes, but his header from Adam Blakeman’s deep cross was saved by Martin Fearon.

Marine responded with a Florian Da Silva header that was tipped over by Matt Urwin, and levelled soon after through Hughes, who gave Urwin no chance from six yards.

The first half continued at a great pace, as both teams attacked with intent. Danny Mitchley went closest for Marine, forcing Urwin into a terrific one-handed block. While Andy Teague’s deflected long-range drive was Chorley’s best response.

The second half saw an early Baker header saved with ease by Urwin, before Nick Haughton connected with a short corner only for Jason Walker to deflect the shot wide.

Chorley’s chances took a hit on the hour when Josh Wilson was shown a straight red card after a challenge on Billy Smart left both players lying hurt on the ground.

It took Marine 14 minutes to make their advantage count. James Murray went on a mazy run into the box and his low driven cross was inadvertently stabbed past Urwin by O’Keefe.

Try as they might the Magpies couldn’t find a reply in the final 10 minutes, with only Teague’s header against the post coming close, before Mitchley’s 15th of the season in stoppage time sent the away fans into raptures, and finished off any hopes of a Chorley recovery.

Chorley (4-3-3) Urwin; Challoner (Roscoe, 84), Teague (c), Leather, Blakeman; Wilson, O’Keefe, Haughton; Hughes, Walker (Whitham, 73), Carver. Subs not used: Jordan, Jarvis, Black.

Marine (4-4-1-1) Fearon; Strickland (Wylie, 57), Baker, Hughes, Short; Murray, Smart, Brewster (c), Da Silva (Reid, 86); Bailey; Mitchley. Subs not used: Lomax, Tongue, Grogan.

Goals: Hughes 2; Hughes 17, O’Keefe (O.G) 74, Mitchley 90+5

Bookings: Challoner (foul, 69); Smart (foul, 11)

Red cards: Wilson (foul, 60)

MOTM (The O2 Shop, Chorley): Adam Blakeman

MOTM (fans): Matty Hughes

Attendance: 708

Referee: Amy Fearns

Assistants: Tim Walker & Stuart Richardson

Fourth official: Owen Evans

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Saturday January 27th

Saturday February 3rd

On Our Travels

Saturday January 20th

Friday February 9th