HomeNewsClub NewsStatsMatch Reports 2017/18REPORT | Boston Utd 2 Chorley 0

REPORT | Boston Utd 2 Chorley 0

It was another disappointing afternoon of football for the Magpies as they made the long trip to Lincolnshire in vein, coming home with a second away defeat of the week.  Ashley Hemmings gave the home side the lead on 37 minutes before Kabongo Tshimanga doubled Boston United’s lead just after half time.

The changes were wrung by Matt Jansen again for this game but there was no place in the starting 11 for new signing Matty Hughes, despite plenty of speculation in the week.  Adam Blakeman went back to his familiar position at full back which saw Paul Jarvis return to the bench.

Elsewhere on the pitch Terry Gornall returned to the first 11 after being a used substitute against Harrogate Town on Tuesday night, and Josh Wilson moved back into midfield – Dale Whitham and Marcus Carver both starting on the bench.

A nervy start for the Magpies saw Harry Vince take the first shot on goal inside two minutes for Boston minutes before Scott Leather was given an early yellow card for a foul on Tshimanga.  Leather was quickly subbed soon after with Dale Whitham coming on.

Chorley came into the game from then on and a searching cross ball from Adam Blakeman wasn’t controlled by Jason Walker; and he should have won a free kick on 12 minutes going down in the challenge holding his face.

Matt Challoner was on hand to clear a dangerous cross into the box before Vance swiped a shot wide on 16 minutes as Boston came close to snatching the opening goal.

19 minutes in and Gornall broke the line and tried to turn into the box but only succeeded in winning a corner for his side.  That saw Kieran Charnock come agonisingly close with a back post header which bounced off the underside of the crossbar and the wrong side of the line.

The following ten minutes were end-to-end but the best opportunities saw Walker shoot wide for the visitors, Jordan Keane looped a ball over the bar for Boston from 25 yards and Blakeman curled a free kick wide of the post.

As the half hour mark approached Chorley were pressing hard and another corner was won on the right side by Challoner but Blakeman sent the cross into the side netting.

The next chance fell for Tshimanga when he ran through and beat Andy Teague to the ball but Matt Urwin read the chance well and saved the strike with his legs.  The subsequent corner was sent harmlessly across the face of the Magpie’s goal.

Chorley pushed forward again and another great chance fell to Whitham on 36 minutes.  Challoner burst down the right and sent a cross into the box but the midfielder’s first time strike bounced wide.

On 37 minutes the Pilgrims struck first goal when a delivery from James Clifton was guided into the bottom left cover by Hemmings.  Boston led 1-0.

Wilson immediate tried to find an equaliser heading a free kick towards goal but straight into the arms of the diving George Willis.  And the keeper was on hand to deny Gornell moments later.

The home side broke the line again two minutes before half time but Tshimanga was unable to direct his right footed strike on target and sent it wide.

Chorley were unlucky not to level it inside stoppage time when Walker latched onto a Challoner delivery but the awkward bounce of the ball meant he couldn’t get it out from under his feet with the goal at his mercy and the chance disappeared.

The second half didn’t start too well when a long throw was controlled by Tshimanga who was able to turn the defender and shoot past Urwin to double his side’s lead inside 47 minutes.

Tshimanga then went down inside the box but the referee wasn’t buying the shouts for a penalty as the game played on and Chorley eventually won a free kick inside their own area.

Whitham spotted a slight gap to goal on 52 minutes but shot straight at the Willis.  A later corner for Chorley was played back to Wilson who shoots and the ball is blocked by a Boston defender.

Nineteen minutes into the second period Chorley needed more firepower up front so Carver was brought on for Josh O’Keefe to join Gornell and Walker up front; and five minutes later Hughes was brought on, for his debut, replacing Gornell.

Chorley were lucky not to concede a third goal on 72 minutes when Challoner played the ball back to Urwin, but the bounce caught the keeper off guard and he missed the kick and turned to watch the ball roll narrowly wide of his post.

The visitors did enjoy a good spell of possession as they looked to find a way back into the game.  Carver was unlucky not to get on the end of a Challoner cross before Walker felt he was fouled when diving to head towards goal.

But the four minutes of injury time that was played produced no further chances as Boston United finished 2-0 winners.

BOSTON UNITED                   

1 George Willis, 2 James Clifton, 3, Brad Beatson, 4 Jordan Keane, 5 Brad McGowan, 6 Tom Batchelor, 7 Harry Vince (OFF – 73), 8 Harry Chapman (C), 9 Kabongo Tshimanga, 10 Ashley Hemmings (OFF – 79), 11 Tyrell Waite; SUBS: 12 Mason Warren (ON – 73), 14 Taron Hare (ON – 79), 15 Karl Hawley, 16 Leigh Adams, 16 Jamie McGuire.


1 Matt Urwin, 2 Matt Challoner, 3 Adam Blakeman, 4 Andy Teague (C), 5 Scott Leather (OFF – 11), 6 Kieran Charnock, 7 Josh O’Keefe (OFF – 64), 8 Josh Wilson, 9 Terry Gornall (OFF – 69), 10 Jason Walker, 11 Jake Cottrell; SUBS: 12 Dale Whitham (ON – 11), 14 Paul Jarvis, 15 Marcus Carver (ON – 64), 16 Enock Likoy-Elumba, 17 Matty Hughes (ON – 69).

HT: 1-0 / FT: 2-0

GOALS: Ashley Hemmings (37), Tshimanga (47)

ATT: 934 (67 away)

Referee: Sam Barrott

Assistants: Daniel Jarvis, Jamie O’Connor

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Facebook Twitter AudioBoom Instagram

Next @ Victory Park

Wednesday February 28th
@ Lancashire FA Head Quarters
Partners Foundation
Challenge Trophy

Saturday March 3rd

On Our Travels

Saturday February 24th

Saturday March 10th